Just started Molly Fish Aquarium.

JacobOco

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi! I recently bought two molly fish from Walmart about four days ago. Both are males, one is yellow (Milo), the other is Orange (George). My questions are, How do I get rid of ammonia in my aquarium? I have Aqueon Sample Water Conditioner and Tetra SafeStart Bacteria. Also, I am concered about their diet.. George has never ate since I got him at Walmart, and he also has not been very active, he does swim around, but most of the time I check on the fish, he is still. Milo, he is very active and eats all his food, but I might be overfeeding him, he keeps eating all of George's food. I drop four flakes daily. Two in the morning, two at night. George will occasionally look at the food, bite it, and let go of it/throw it up. I keep them in a 2.5 Gallon Aqueon Tank with gravel, a spongebob house, and a fake tree. Is there a problem here? Thanks for taking time reading my thread. I have a lot of questions, being a starter. Advice is appreciated. (Will provide s if needed)

SnarkyXTS

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Way way way too small a tank for 2 mollies. They have large bioloads (poop a lot) so your water parameters will be toxic to your mollies. Did you cycle your tank before you put the fish in? Do you know how the nitrogen cycle works? If your ammonia levels are too high that means most likely you didn't cycle the tank. You should do research on here on how to do that. Mollies need a much bigger tank than what you have them in, at least 20 gallon tank I would say. This site is very informative.

OP
J

JacobOco

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
SnarkyXTS said:
Way way way too small a tank for 2 mollies. They have large bioloads (poop a lot) so your water parameters will be toxic to your mollies. Did you cycle your tank before you put the fish in? Do you know how the nitrogen cycle works? If your ammonia levels are too high that means most likely you didn't cycle the tank. You should do research on here on how to do that. Mollies need a much bigger tank than what you have them in, at least 20 gallon tank I would say. This site is very informative.
Oh. Well in that case, I will most likely be buying a 20 gal this weekend. How much gallons do I need per molly? What other fishes can I put with mollies in a 20gal tank? Thanks for informing me. Yes I do know the Nitrogen Cycle and How it Works. The Tetra SafeStart added to my aquarium about an hour before the fish is supposed to start the cycle so I don't really know if it cycled.

cooneyms

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Tetra SafeStart is a great product, I used it on both of my tanks with great success. It takes time though before your water parameters will read 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, and a Nitrate reading. It's good that you know about cycling already. If haven't already, go out and get the API Liquid Master Test Kit for freshwater. It's the most accurate one.

You'd be able to get away with 20 gallons for the two mollies you have, maybe one more (not a female though, the males will harass her). They are very active fish and need lots of space. No other fish will work with them at that stocking level but you could have invertebrates like nerite snails or ghost shrimp.

29 gallons is even better for mollies and you can keep 4-5. More females than males is best becase males will compete with one another and usually get agressive.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

SnarkyXTS

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I agree with everything cooneyms☝said. TSS is awesome, I've used it on 4 tanks now and all cycled perfectly. Just wait the usual 2 weeks, don't add anything unless u absolutely have to. This site has a great Q&A link with Tetra about its Safe Start, just put TSS on the search and it'll show up. I hope your distressed molly gets better... Hopefully it's just getting used to his new environment. And I wouldn't get any females unless you're able to buy a huge tank or several because mollies breed like crazy.

OP
J

JacobOco

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Okay! Thanks guys

Fishy fishy fishtail

New Threads