20 Gallon Tank Just started fishless cycle and filter is already blinking

cloverpile

Hello! I’ve only just started my fishless cycle about 2 days ago and am already going through a bacteria bloom, water is cloudy since last night, and my filter had begun blinking!
I purchased the aqueon 20 gallon started kit and it came with the same brand quiet flo filter.
However it only came with one filter pack to put in said filter cartridge….and it’s already begun blinking.
From what Ive read in most forums this filter brand tend to be gimmicky and most even throw away the light when installing this filter to their tank.
But my question is should I myself ignore it?The stores near me do not have this brands filters available to me. Will this ruin my fishless cycle, mess the filter up, or even over flow my tank?

mattgirl

The first thing I would do is disable that blinking light. The second thing i would do is replace that cartridge with more permanent filter media. A sponge cut to size and some matrix, ceramic media or even lava rocks in a media bag and you should never have to buy another cartridge. The sponge can be rinsed and reused for years. The other media should never have to be replaced.

Upvote 0

cloverpile

The first thing I would do is disable that blinking light. The second thing i would do is replace that cartridge with more permanent filter media. A sponge cut to size and some matrix, ceramic media or even lava rocks in a media bag and you should never have to buy another cartridge. The sponge can be rinsed and reused for years. The other media should never have to be replaced.
Thank you for responding! Do you have an pictures, videos, or even other people posts from here that have a visual assembly of that and links where to buy this stuff? I want to get this right and don’t want to buy the wrong things since this would be my first media filter :’]

Upvote 0

mattgirl

You also mentioned a media bag what does that look like? And do I just assemble these items into the bag and I should never have to change out this filter right? Or how often do I change the filter with this media.
A media bag is simply a bag you put some of this stuff in. Media is a word that pretty much covers anything we put in our filters to filter the water and for bacteria to grow on. The foam doesn't go in the bag. You just cut a piece to fit your filter. I know it is easier to just ask but spend a bit of time reading up on this and you will find a world of information right here on this forum.

I just gave you an example of the various kinds of bio-media I was talking about. Personally I use a mixture of 3 or 4 different types but only one type is needed. This type of filter media just needs to be rinsed from time to time. The foam may one day have to be replaced but it will last a very long time. The other bio-media will also have to occasionally be rinsed off in water pulled from the tank during a water change but it should never wear out.

Upvote 0

JeremyW

You don't need to overthink it, or overspend on it.

There are a ton of filtration products you can buy, but at the end of the day aquarium filtration is pretty basic. Even the most expensive canister filters are mostly just pumping water through sponges.

So I think the main thing is to just get a sponge in there. Once you have that, its hard to go wrong with whatever else you do. In my opinion, the sponge is the real workhorse of the operation.

Don't stress about making the wrong choice. None of this needs to be permanent. Aquariums are ongoing projects. If you get bio-rings today, and decide in a month that you'd rather have something different, you can change it. Just don't change all your media at once or you can interrupt your cycle. Do it incrementally.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

20 Gallon Tank Is my tank salvageable?
Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies
Views
JeremyW