I just started up a new 46 gallon tank. I set it up and let it run for about a week, then put in AquaSafe. 24 hrs later I used a bottle of safestart (for a 100 gallon tank). Since I didn't get to put fish in for another 3 days I added another, same size bottle of safestart and seven small fish; (1 dwarf gourami, 1 green lantern platy, 1 sunburst platy, a black mollie, a dalmation mollie and one 2.5 inch pictus catfish, and 1 cory catfish). Three days, and two dead fish (the cory and the dalmatian mollie) later my ammonia level is about .15ppm, no nitrite but the nitrate is around 15ppm. I have a pH of roughly 7.6, with slightly hard water. Are those levels within speck and I just got an already doomed fish from Petsmart or am I doing something wrong. I haven't had an aquarium in years and back then, I bought fish, threw them in and tested for pH once a week. My son had a tank with this hard water, with one overfed siamese algae eater (who wouldn't eat algae), never tested the water and that fish lasted about 10 year until a week long power outage in the winter. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks.