Just Some Questions

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by KittyFish62, Apr 22, 2017.

1. KittyFish62

KittyFish62Well Known MemberMember

So recently, I got my Aquaclear 30 from the mail yesterday, and I have a few questions about it. First of all, do I really need to replace my biomax every three months? I've never heard of that until now. Also, what material should I use to block solids from the filter intake? It's been a long time. Third, I have a 5" common goldfish in a 20 gallon tank (yes, I know it's small) and I've been wondering how big it can get before upgrading to a bigger tank. No hate pls.

Fish: 12 Rosy Reds, 1 5" common goldfish

Tank: 20 Gallon tall (yes, I know that long tanks are better)

Filter: Aquaclear/Fluval 30

Media: Carbon and Biomax

2. Platylover

PlatyloverFishlore VIPMember

1. You shouldn't need to until it starts falling apart, the instructions say that probably becaouse they want more money.
    2. You mean like a sponge on the intake? Do you mean so that nothing but water gets through?
    3. With a common, I'd say upgrade as soon as you can(they need a 200g pond), but for a few months it might be ok. Just not long term.

3. Summer22

Summer22Valued MemberMember

I don't know about your first question but for the intake you could use panty hose over it. What do you mean exactly by blocking solids? As for the goldfish how old i s it? If it's 5 inches you should move him/her as soon as you can before growth is stunted and insides messed up. If you're strapped for cash some say you can use sterilite plastic storage tub containers. There's tank size calculators out there that might help you figure out how many gallons they are by entering dimension (if it doesn't already say). My only concern is that if you wait till he get's too big then he'll already be stunted with damage done. Good luck

Wait a second... I googled a picture of biomax. Is it a sack full of ceramic little cylinders? I have a fluval 70 that has those. If it's what I think it is then that's your biological filtration. As in what houses your good bacteria to keep cycle. I didn't think you were supposed to throw those away. That would be ditching your cycle every 3 months. Could someone please clarify this for us?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  4. OP
    OP
    KittyFish62

What i meant by blocking solids was blocking like plants and fish food. Idk if that would be good or bad though.

To clarify your answer @Summer22, yes, it is bio media. I was just making sure that it wasn't right.

Btw what tank size would be good for the goldfish? 55 gallons? 120 gallons? I was thinking of upgrading to 55 gallons, then a few months later 120.

5. Platylover

PlatyloverFishlore VIPMember

I'm not are if I'd keep a common in a tank honestly, if you did it'd have to be 200g minimum. Fish food would be fine going in the intake, and plants should be to much of a problem going in.

6. Summer22

The bigger the better. Ever want to build an outdoor pond? Fancy type gold fish are only ones suitable for big indoor tanks if you are trying to avoid stunted and harmful growth.

7. OP
    OP
    KittyFish62

Alright then.

8. Summer22

@KittyFish62

I recommend asking about your bio media in another thread to get more opinions. I'm almost certain that you don't ever have to throw it out and change it. The only filter stuff that's commonly changed is a filter floss/carbon cartridge just for the sake of changing the carbon as this does go inactive with time. But even then you have to be careful doing this as the filter floss part holds your BB. This is the one that many say to keep in your tank till it's falling apart.

9. OP
    OP
    KittyFish62

Yeah... ik. I don't think another thread would help, it would just make the mods mad. Btw I used to go on here a lot last year, so I know a lot already.

10. CarrieFisher

CarrieFisherWell Known MemberMember

Hi!
    I have an AC70 and I use have one of these that I use on occasion in my tank, such as...
    Occasions like a half an hour ago when I did some tuning up and stirred up some funk
    f6dd29e4fcc46bb393879839c6da20ae.jpgView attachment 307749

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  11. OP
    OP
    KittyFish62

Okay...?

12. CarrieFisher

You asked for suggestions for keeping solids out of your intake...

13. purslanegardenWell Known MemberMember

Generally you'll think you don't want large solids to go to your filter, but that's what it should be doing. That way, your water will look clean without so much floating debris. Just make sure to clean your filter pads occasionally. Having said that, before I began using a prefilter (such as shown in carriefisher's post), the filter pad did have a lot of gunk and look gross. However, that wasn't a reason to toss it. Just clean it and put it back (including removing the used up carbon after about 30 days). After adding the prefilter, the pad inside the filter stays a lot cleaner, but of course, you then have to clean the pre-filter. But the good thing about the pre-filter is that it traps large particles that remain still inside the aquarium. That means your critters still get a chance to eat it or break it down more, so that in reality, it is not as visible, and in the case of fish flakes, you don't just lose flakes to the void of the filter box where your fish can't get to it. My tank has snails and shrimp, and those guys love eating food or plant material that is stuck on the prefilter, but your fish should eat any food particles there, too.

14. Samuel97

Samuel97Well Known MemberMember

I agree that a sponge prefilter is best. It's what I use for all the reasons above.

It means you have to clean out the main filter pads less often, and my fish love to eat food that it catches that I say still good aswell as a good 5-10 shrimp permanently staying on it to graze. Just give it a quick rinse in de chlorinated water and it does the job. I suppose it technically homes some BB too!

15. CarrieFisher

Ugh, that prefilter is GROSS when I squeeze it out into a bucket of tank water.
    It's darn near black sometimes!!

16. Bogart16

Bogart16Valued MemberMember

You can also get an extra sponge, like the ones that go in the bottom of the AC filters, and cut an "X" into it to use as a prefilter. That's what I originally did on one of my tanks. I switched over to the fluval prefilter mentioned earlier, but I find it tends to slip off the intake. The homemade cut sponge never budged unless I pulled it off.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice