Just some general questions

Discussion in 'Corydoras' started by BritJo, Mar 17, 2010.

1. BritJoValued MemberMember

So my albino cory's are the only surviving fish in my tank after a huge ammonia attack due to my room mate sneaking my fish huge amounts of food. :eek:

Tank is back to normal testing at ammonia 0, nitrite 0 and nitrate 10ppm. It's been up and running for a little over a month having been seeded from an established tank. It's 10 gals

I really didn't know much about these guys when I put them into the tank they originally had been in w/ mollies so they had some salt in their tank (1 tsp in a 10 gal) and I've kept up with the salt up to this point in their lives (one is relatively new about 2 weeks I've had him and the other I've had for 6 months). Seeing as they are my only fish I've been doing more research and I see they dislike salt. Surprise to me (another reason Petsmart and I dislike each other), but my question is should I start doing daily water changes to get the salt out or just stick to my once a week now that the tank is back to normal? This week they've had water changes daily (50% or more) to get the levels back to normal and while they do not appear stressed at all (they seem to love me changing the water and even chase the vaccum around, I have to constantly watch because they swim up the dang thing!) I don't want to stress them. The water changes did have the normal amount of salt in them because I just discovered the no salt thing today! I feel horrible, but like I said they seem fine. I'm leaving for a few days Sat so I'll probably do a good gravel vac on Fri anyhow, should I just wait till then (providing levels are still good tomorrow?)?

Also, I've been doing the algae wafer thing, but any other good food choices for these guys? They weren't impressed w/ frozen brine shrimp I gave them that as atreat and they just looked at it. I'm not feeding them till Fri just because they had been so over fed but they have been picking at the plants like crazy...anyone elses do that? This is the first time I've seen them do that.

They seem to really be enjoying having the 10 gal to themselves, and I definitely want toget at least one more because I know they do best w/ at least 3. What other fish do these guys do well w/? They had been in a tank w/ guppies and platys and to be honest they never seemed as happy as they do now by themselves. I'm aiming at less fish, so one other species that does well w/ 2 or 3 tops, my cory's are def my favorite so I'm looking at revolving the tank around them at this point. They deserve it after what they lived through this week!

2. AlyeskaGirlFishlore VIPMember

You are right about the salt. Don't stress about it, you didnt know. Personally I would do another partial water change tomorrow and get some of the salt out. Since you already did a water change, another might be too much right now. Don't want to stress them.

Mine follow my tube around when I am vaccuming and one always ends up in it too! lol Mine go around and sweep everything in the tank. They are so much fun!

I feed my Corys besides algae wafers is sinking Shrimp Pellots and frozen bloodworms. They love bloodworms! :)

3. OP
    OP
    B

BritJoValued MemberMember

I'm gonna do a partial change tomorrow I think....

I'm glad mine aren't the only one that get swept up, I freaked out but he seemed to like it and went right back to trying to get in the vaccum! lol.

4. REDKAHUNA

REDKAHUNAValued MemberMember

Just do water changes normally the levels will decress. Cories seem to be able to take change pretty good.

Food they should eat just about anything but the bloodworms would rank high on the list. Hikari makes a sinking omnivoire pellet for a more balanced diet.

5. OP
    OP
    B

BritJoValued MemberMember

Thanks, I'l try the blood worms and be on the look out for those pellets :) Levels in the tank are still testing great today so things are looking good for these guys.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice