Just Some Advice - Added Fish And Cycle Issues

1. SarahBear1009

SarahBear1009 Valued Member Member

So my 55 gallon has been cycled for a few months.

A friend of mine called me up and asked if I could take her 4 Bolivian Rams. That if she didn't find them a home, her husband was going to flush them, and she doesn't trust giving them to Petco or Petsmart (as some will take fish for free to set them up for adoption). I think my heart is bigger than my brain.
    I took her Bolivians and while everyone is getting a long fine, I think it crashed my cycle. I think my bio load is just too high, as I now have ammonia readings when I didnt before.

I am planning on re-homing my gourami (I have 2) for bullying reasons, so I am hoping that once that happens my ammonia will drop to 0. But I could be wrong?

I have added live plants and am using prime and stability along with water changes to try and combat the ammonia until I can catch my Gourami. My tap has 0 ammonia.

I'm just a little bummed as I was so excited when my tank cycled, and i feel like i messed up my whole tank because I wanted to save my friends fish.

I guess this turned more into a vent session, so apologies on that.

Thanks all for listening. :)

2. Jckronk76

Jckronk76 New Member Member

Unless your really overstocked why not try the stability daily and prime every other day and see if your filter catches up?

3. OP
    OP
    SarahBear1009

I had thought about that. But my gourami are just not playing nice. So they need to be rehomed anyway.
    How long does it take sometimes for a filter to catch up??

4. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

Great for rehoming the Bolivians!!

What are your current water parameters and stock for the tank?

5. OP
    OP
    SarahBear1009

Ammonia is .25, nitrite is 0, and nitrate is 20. I am hoping with continuing my process of prime, stability, water changes and rehoming my gourami, my tank will get back to normal.

6. JesseMoreira06

It's not so bad , just continue the same route , daily water changes with prime.

7. OP
    OP
    SarahBear1009

I missed the stock part. I currently have 2 gourami, 2 angelfish, 5 peppered Corie's, 6 black neon tetra, BN pleco, snail and 2 shrimp. And now 4 Bolivian Rams.

8. JesseMoreira06

There is some temp problems with your current stock, did you want to discuss them?

Also what kind of gouramis?

9. OP
    OP
    SarahBear1009

I know .25 isn't horrible, but going from 0 to that and realizing I crashed my cycle is a bummer. It was a pain to cycle so I really dont want to go through it all again. Especially with all my fish. Don't want to put them through that.

They are Opaline gouramis. And sure what are they???

10. JesseMoreira06

Anglefish fish thrive in temps of 78F-82F

Opaline thrive in 76F-82F

Peppered corys thrive in temps of 70F-74F

BN Pleco thrive temps of 70F-74F

Bolivian Rams thrive temps of 72F-74F

11. OP
    OP
    SarahBear1009

Thank you for the information. Looks like I have some thinking to do on my stock.

12. JesseMoreira06

Hey , it may give you an excuse to get a 2nd tank or more depending on how many you currently have. :)

13. OP
    OP
    SarahBear1009

I only have one, so I definitely could use another! ;)

14. JesseMoreira06

If ever you plan on getting a 2nd tank , me and other members can help you figure out a good stocking plan for both the tanks.

Also forgot to ask do you know the sex of the Bolivian rams?

15. OP
    OP
    SarahBear1009

I've been trying to figure that out actually. I know I have a female. And I believe at least a male. But there are 2 that I can't tell. Maybe they are too young yet.

16. toolman

toolman Well Known Member Member

Be careful MTS is severely contagious! I got back into the hobby after being away, now I have 4 tanks. Lol

17. OP
    OP
    SarahBear1009

Hahaha advice appreciated :) now its just convincing the husband.... Any advice there???

18. toolman

toolman Well Known Member Member

I told my wife my new tank was for the grandkids. They are not here yet, can't wait till October.. Twins my first grandchildren. She didn't buy it, but I got my new soon to be high light/high tech planted tank!

19. Sarcasm Included

Sarcasm Included Well Known Member Member

You didn't crash your cycle, which would be if you added something that killed the bacteria. Your bio-load increased and your bacteria colony just needs to grow to accommodate the increase, which we refer to as a mini-cycle. Your tank is constantly fluctuating bacteria levels as it is effected by the varying amounts of food and activity that your fish engage in, the changes are so small that you will never notice it with the kits we use. I am surprised that you noticed any ammonia with so small of a change in bio-load, I would look at seeing if you have enough filtration. Your tank is not overstocked even with the new residents and mini-cycles show up when you increase bio-load >40% of your current stock generally. It should also have corrected with 24 hours at this point.

20. p

purslanegarden Well Known Member Member

Maybe your tap water source has changed (coincidentally around the time you added the new stock) or you need more media in your filter(s). The gph is one measurement of a filter but if it has more media that the BB can populate on when needed, it can be a better filter for the tank in that regard, too.