Just Set Up a 10 Gallon

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Katy82, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Katy82

Katy82 Well Known Member Member

So we just set up our son's 10 gallon tank he received from Santa this year! It was the thing he was asking for the very most. So cute.

We are cycling using Tetra Safe Start. Went to LFS this morning. They are having a HUGE boxing day sale. Almost all fish 50% off with some at 75% off. So hard to control ourselves when buying. We walked away with 2 male guppies and 1 ADF. The owner was assuring me that the frog will be fine with the Safe Start. We have the turkey baster ready to go for feeding time for him/her! Fingers crossed they all do well.

Also picked up the API Master Test Kit for 50% off (score!).

Very hard to explain to the little guy that he has to wait before he can get any more fish! He already has his future fish picked out. Although I'm sure they will be long gone in a month. :p

Wish us luck!! This forum has been an excellent place to gather information.

2. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Most people who keep ADFs actually recommend they're kept in their own tank. They have very poor vision, and other fish often eat all the food before the frogs are able to find any. Also due to their poor vision, sometimes they'll lunge at and take a chomp on anything that passes by, including a guppy's large caudal fin. Personally I would take him back and get a few more guppies, or a different type of fish that will work in a 10 gallon (be sure to do research first! :)), but there are members who've successfully kept them in community tanks; it just takes a watchful eye and a little more work.

Good luck with the TSS! Be sure not to test until two weeks have passed; sometimes the results will look bad (IE ammonia or nitrite present), but that's normal, and you mustn't do a water change until two weeks have passed. :)

Here's some info on TSS, in case you haven't stumbled upon it yet: https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/aquarium-nitrogen-cycle/58116-q-tetra-tetra-safestart.html

3. OP
    OP
    Katy82

Thanks for the feedback. We have a dish in the tank for his food right now, and will try handfeeding as well. Have reptile tongs and a turkey baster at the ready if necessary! The LFS owner has had the 2 together in a community tank without issues so hopefully it will be the same with us. No returns on fish at the this store so returning is not an option. That being said we have a back up plan if necessary.

We did do some research before we went with this combo and looked at the Q&A for TSS. Have been lurking on the boards for a few weeks now.

When we go back in a month or so we are just planning on adding a couple more male guppies so we didn't get a guppy population explosion!!

4. kinezumi89

If the tank isn't too heavily planted, the adults will help keep the population in check :) When I had guppies as a kid, I only had a couple fry survive because there weren't enough hiding places. That being said, not having to worry about it at all (by getting all males) is always a good idea :)

I know there are members with ADFs in community tank (Akari_32 is the first that comes to mind) so I know it can be done. :) Best of luck, and welcome (officially...or should I say "o-fish-ally" ;)) to FishLore! :;toast

5. OP
    OP
    Katy82

Thanks so much for the "o-fish-al" welcome! :D

Just tried feeding her (I think :) for the first time. Guppies of course swooped in and stole the tadpole/ frog bites. So I tried some bloodworms using the reptile tongs and she went a little crazy getting them lol Definitely has a good appetite!! Which I am hoping is a good sign.

Just praying the water conditions stay OK with the safe start.

6. pirahnah3

pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I would say that feeding the frog should be done at the same time as the guppies to avoid possible fish stealing frog food again.

There are plenty of fish that can go in 10gal tanks once you get it cycled and decide on what you really want to have in the tank.

7. OP
    OP
    Katy82

So, I've had a few issues arise with the tank. The ADF is doing very well, active and eating extremely well using the turkey baster.

As mentioned above I've used TSS to start the tank. I am on day 6 and did a test with the API Master Kit. Results are:
    Ammonia: .5
    Nitrite: .5
    Nitrate: 0

So not cycled yet but hopefully on it's way.

The issues I am having are with the guppies. One of them looks like it has started to get fin rot. It has some black on the edge of its tail. Usually, I would just do daily water changes (I did this with my Betta and he was better very quickly) and see if that helps but because of the Safe Start not sure what I can do. As for medicating with the ADF in the tank I don't want to use anything that would harm it.

The next problem is the fighting! These 2 male guppies are just going at each other all day! And it is not just chasing each other around the tank. There has been some nipping too. I'm hoping it will resolve itself but again any suggestions would be appreciated. From what I have read adding another male so there is an uneven number may help. But because of the TSS and Fin Rot the one is experiencing it's probably not a good idea.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

8. Akari_32

Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Knew I should click on this thread for a reason :p

My girls do great with tank mates. I think they prefer it better, honestly. When they are in a low activity tank, such as with a single betta, as they are now, they hide a lot more, and are not interactive at all. In a community tank, they terrorize the other fish, and are constantly hunting for food. They have no issues at all with fending off even 4 inch fish from their desired food target!

As for the guppies, males don't seem to like eachothers company once they been in an environment with lots of females, and them taken out of that environment with no females. They tend to squable and tear eachother up. You may like Endlers or Wild Guppies better. They have a more even temper towards other males. To help heal fins with out water changes, I find Kordon Fish Protector to be awesome.

9. OP
    OP
    Katy82

I had read about the males being irritable when taken away from the ladies but they came from an all male tank! My LFS keeps their guppies separated by sex.

I have never seen any endlers or wild guppies around here.

Is the Kordon Fish Protector OK to use with the frog in the tank?

10. Akari_32

Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Just because the lfs did doesn't mean the supplier did ;)

Look them up! Both are gorgeous :)

Yep! It's just liquid vitamins, minerals and herbs.

11. OP
    OP
    Katy82

True enough! Grumpy little men these guppies are. Kind of puts me off getting anymore when we are ready to add more fish. :p Will have to rethink the stocking plans. Not to many options for a 10 gallon though!

I will look into the Kordon...Thanks for the help.

12. kinezumi89

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice