Just scored a 36 gallon bowfront

Status
Not open for further replies.

anunez91

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
..... for 45 bucks, the lady was selling it for *dramatic pause* ten bucks!!!!, but she also had it advertised as a sixty gallon, so my first thought is, sixty gallon bow, ten bucks? im jacking up the offer on this to deter any potential buyers, so i set it at 45 only to have her email me and say it wasnt sixty gallons, but hey, 36 is more than the 29 i have and...... its a bowfront, you cant go wrong, anyways, sorry for the ramble, i had to tell someone, hahaha, what would you put in this tank? its 30x15x21, the dude had oscars in it and then "they just died out of nowhere" the only thing i was thinking was "score" haha, i should have told him about the nitrogen cycle but i was in a hurry, SO, like i said before, what would you put in this? or what do you currently have in this if you have this tank? im thinking less of a community and more of a medium - larger species tank, *not oscars obviously ;]* thought and opinions, bring em on!

OP
A

anunez91

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
omg.................. like one of those breeder sized ones they have with this discus in the planted tanks at the LFS?!, you know, now that you mention it, i would totally splurge the 35 dollars on one of thsoe bad boys (or girls, whichever apply) that would be epic...... *epic claw* ill have to take a picture of that one day so you all know what im talking about, haha,

KEEP EM COMING FOLKS!

*mouses over rep link ;]*

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Congrats on the deal!! It's a good feeling to get a deal on stuff, isn't it? I got an Eclipse + 100watt heater for $15 just yesterday, but that's on my upper limit of what my boyfriend will let me have around the house now.

I for one love my blue ram and would put cories in *any* tank -- just be careful about which cories you get because most prefer temps in the 68-76 range and blue rams prefer temps in the 78-82 range. I'd also love to have an angel or two if I could accommodate 'em. Or maybe even a discus or two, which are similarly priced to large angels.

I would maybe get some keyhole cichlids, as I think they're adorable. They're also peaceful and good to add to community tanks. You could also get kribs, and you could start breeding.

Killifish are really *interesting* looking fish but short lived (1-2 years) and breeding them is a whole special deal because they die so quick and the eggs have to be removed, stored, and then they hatch later.

My go-to for schooling fish are rummy nose tetras, but I'd love to have some long finned White Clouds like Harpua has for sale. Candy cane tetras are also really gorgeous, but they're really hard to find.

Not suggesting any of the above should be mixed necessarily. Just throwing ideas out there. ;D

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Discus really do better in either pairs, or groups of 5-6 or more. Pairs can be quite expensive... so I left them out of my suggestion. LOL!

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
They're 40 dollars and up (each) if I'm remembering correctly, and similarly priced to the 35 dollar angelfish he was considering so I mentioned it. Although yes, he'd probably get 2 so it'd be more money. But hey, I know if *I* saved a buttload on the equipment (at least 40 bucks) then I could *totally* rationalize paying a lot more for the fish than I normally would.

OP
A

anunez91

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
ive still got to build a stand for this badboy, which will probably be the most expensve part of this one, and ive also definately been thinking about a FOWLR? How much harder is it to keep a FOWLR tank than a normal freshwater?

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They're 40 dollars and up (each) if I'm remembering correctly, and similarly priced to the 35 dollar angelfish he was considering so I mentioned it. Although yes, he'd probably get 2 so it'd be more money. But hey, I know if *I* saved a buttload on the equipment (at least 40 bucks) then I could *totally* rationalize paying a lot more for the fish than I normally would.
Hehe, I was referring to a mated pair... a mated pair of quality discus usually sells for somewhere in the $400 range I believe.

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
FOWLR tank really isn't hard at all.

If you think you really want to try it, take the time you have while you're building that stand and research, research, research! Most SW fails occur with folks who don't do enough research first, IMO. Just like FW, don't listen to the LFS! Read articles here, join a local reef club, find a mentor... anything but blindly following LFS advice, lol. ;D

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hehe, I was referring to a mated pair... a mated pair of quality discus usually sells for somewhere in the $400 range I believe.
Oo, you mean the ones sold as "proven pairs" and all that. I see. Hmmm. Can't say I've paid *that* much attention to those ones since they're not sold in brick and mortar stores that often. Also, all these super expensive fish are way above my head. ;D

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah, otherwise you'd have to start with a group and wait for a pair to form. That would be a lot easier in a bigger tank, but in a 36 I think it would be VERY difficult to avoid stunting while you wait. I'm just speaking from my experience trying to grow out discus in a 55 planted tank. They did ok, but never really thrived even with 50% water changes 4-5 times a week. If I ever grow out juvie discus again, I will do so in a barebottom tank and switch them over to a planted setup when they get some size on them. JMO.

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Wow, that is an awful lot of work. I've seen so many folk on Craigslist selling discus from growout tanks I guess I never thought much of it. Example:

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah, mine were that size when I got them and never really grew much even with frequent feeding and water changes. I was trying to get around growing them out in a barebottom tank, but it didn't work for me. Others may have a different opinion, but if I ever try them again I will definitely play it safe and go barebottom until they are 5 inches or so.

OP
A

anunez91

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Will you be selling discus in your Operations Harpua? maybe we could all get fishlorean discount cards? *nudge nudge* haha! Well you have SW tanks, the only equipment i would need thats different from a FW tank is a skimmer right? and maybe sump filtration? cause i was planning on using my Magnum 350 for this tank but could totally just go with sumpage, what, in your opinion, is better for SW, and a FOWLR tank could easily be slowly turned into a reef right? Does a FOWLR tank need special lighing?

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I can get discus, but since I buy through wholesalers, you probably wouldn't want them. Good quality discus come from breeders, period.

Slug could steer you in the right direction there.

For a FOWLR tank, a sump and skimmer would be preferable, but are not necessities. If you start with reef safe fish, RO/DI water, and (preferably) a sump/refugium, then the only major upgrade for you is reef lighting.

However, I would caution you against hang on back overflows. I can't believe all the folks that have used them for years without issue... mine has been a source of headache from the beginning- I've been through 3 Aqualifters and 2 powerheads for my pumps that pull the air bubbles out of the overflow and keep it primed. That's 5 EPIC FAILS... If I hadn't been home every time to watch that water level rise in the display tank, it would have been catastrophic and certainly would have resulted in floor damage, if not major livestock loss.

If you want to run a sump, please please PLEASE have the back drilled.
You cannot drill the bottom, as in a standard reef-ready tank, due to the tempered glass.

OP
A

anunez91

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
hopefully he will catch this thread, i definately have to research that stuff cause when i see sumps and overflows in the catalogs, i get a headache, haha, it cant be to terribly hard, i have read a bit on RO/DI units and the whole GPD thing kind of confuses me, is it always running or do you just turn it on the day you do water changes, i have a feeling theres alot more to this than i know, haha

OP
A

anunez91

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
i showed the guy and his sister *they were siblings, haha i thought they were married* this sight, hopefully they will be here the next time they get a tank! still researching all this stuff, ive been reading the Algae scraper thread that SantaMonica created *was up for two hours last night reading* and was wondering, how smart would it be to start a tank built around this type of filtration, i.e. just buying the live rock and sand, and making one of these, no other filtration? Has anyone done this? Any ideas concerning the matter would be great!

this one

OP
A

anunez91

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
i was talking to a guy in a LFS and he gave me this whole sermon on tempered glass in tanks and was asking me if my tank had tempered glass, if this was the case, i wouldnt have any choice but using a HOB overflow would I?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 62 65.3%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 13 13.7%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 18 18.9%

Top Bottom