Just rescued beautiful cup baby. fuzz patch. :( Help

1. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

Well I somehow came home with a cup baby last night. I set him up in a 5g with cycled media from another tank. He was lethargic in the cup, but beautiful, so I hoped I could save him. This afternoon, I found a patch of fuzz (fungus?) on his head. :( He wouldn't eat his thawed blood worms this morning, but he's swimming around really well. :-\

I'm soaking chopped and smushed fresh garlic in a bit of tank water right now. I have about a quarter cup and I can easily make more. How much should I add for a 5g tank and how often?

I looked up "betta fungus" on the forum and found this link: https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/freshwater-fish-disease/26320-does-my-betta-have-fungus.html
    I'm going to follow chickadee's advice in post #9.

Should I do garlic and maracyn?

Is maracyn the one that's dangerous to labyrinth fish? I'm not going to purchase this until I find out.

Please advise me. I've never had fuzz before and I'm worried. :'(

2. uprightandlocked Well Known Member Member

Hello! Melafix and Pimafix are the two that are harmful from what I can tell. I believe Maracyn is safe. Under the "Important Betta Topics" sticky up top is where I found this information (please feel free to doublecheck my "research"!)

Good save on the little guy, I hope he pulls through! Have you named him yet? I would use a little garlic, personally, because it is an immune system booster. Following others advice on here I use VitaChem (two drops a day for Vanguard, at water changes for everyone else) and garlic at water changes to help my little guys stay healthy!

3. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

I would wait on ANY meds and give him time to adjust to his new faboo home....using some stress coat and vita chem will help...he could just have some ickys from his cup...if after a week of him being in a proper tank with heat, he isnt better, maybe think of adding more then?

also it will take him time to learn to eat good foods...garlic can be given to him 2 times a week for a bit until hes back up to par..then once a week is fine ...you can soak his food in the garlic as well..good luck and hope to see pics!

4. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

Thanks upright. Now that you say the name, melafix does sounds like the bad one; thanks. I guess I was too upset to even look at the stickies. :(

I'll write down "VitaChem" and see if my lfs has that too.

Edit: Okay thanks Shawnie. I'll wait on meds then. I prefer natural methods, too, if I can.

It's just a little patch, but it freaked me out. The tip of his tail looks a little bad, but I know I can fix that with clean water.

Okay. Thanks for the help you two! I was just worried.

5. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

You can't really see the fuzz in the pics, but it's a little spot just behind the top of his head. I added some garlic water, so I'll just keep an eye on him. :)

Here are pics. He's definitely not camera shy and he's a strong swimmer.

He's kinda salmon/red with brilliant electric blue streaks in his tail. His head is a dark red/brown.

:-* I'd love name suggestions if you can think of any.

Attached Files:

6. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

hes a handsome boy!!!!
    Ya i would just give him time to adjust...i bet you will see all kinds of colors coming out ...although adding garlic to the water wont hurt anything, see if you can get him to ingest some with his foods..it works much better in their system and bellies

7. critter_fritter79 Well Known Member Member

Wow! Such a handsome boy! He seems to have the "what are YOU lookin' at" look down! Hmmm...I am not so good with names but with that look, maybe a gangster name like Capone:)

8. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

Thanks shawnie :-*

:;hf Thanks Critterfritter! We (hubby and I) love the name! He's definitely got some tude. :;rocker Mr. Capone.

9. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Ilovee. He's beautiful! I think he's going to be a camera hog! :)
    Ken

10. critter_fritter79 Well Known Member Member

Very welcome! Like I said, I am not always so good with names, sometimes it takes me weeks to come up with a good one for my new babies!

11. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Capone is one pretty fish. Congratulations on the find!

12. Tigerlily Well Known Member Member

What a pretty boy... he does seem to love the camera. LOL Good Save!

13. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

*lol* yup! I finally found a fishy who loves the camera. :photo:

Thanks for the compliments and happy wishes, everyone!

I'll be sure to post some pics in a week or two, once he's settled in and feeling better. I'm wondering if his colors will change. :)

14. Robin4 Member Member

Gorgeous boy!! How about the name Santa? He's got a great color and it's Christmas time! :)

Robin

15. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

:'( He didn't make it.

I woke up and found his on the bottom of the tank, struggling to move and his entire front half blanketed in fuzz. I scooped him up and put him in his cup to float in the water; I didn't know if he could swim up to breathe. I went and got maracyn. Added some. But he didn't last long enough for it to matter. I'm just really crushed.

16. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

wow im so sorry for the loss of your baby! that was super fast...im betting the shock of the gross conditions he was kept in, going to a clean healthy tank, was a shock to him.......and with the pics you showed, he wasnt bad at all...if anything, by his tail fin looked more fuzzy than anything on his head:(

17. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

Thanks Shawnie. I know. I was just shocked when I found him. When I took him out, I noticed the original spot where I'd seen the little fuzz that it looked like he was missing scales or something. It was really red. :( It just stinks that he finally had nice clean, warm water and it was too much for him.

He had such personality. How can people keep these great fish in such stupid cruel conditions! :mad: They don't even have a chance and it's not fair.

18. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

im so very sorry again :( I hope you find the time and heart to save another....eventually.....its so hard to take them from such bad conditions and bring them back sometimes..they do adjust to the crappy water and such, and it can be a shock to them to have a fresh clean environment ....good luck and rip you handsome red devil!

19. Tigerlily Well Known Member Member

Oh, I'm so sorry. Hugs.

20. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I'm so sorry you lost him. RIP little betta boy.