Just Rescued Abused Betta With Shredded Fins! Help

1. JaneGael Member Member

Some idiot/monster put two crowntails in the same tiny cup and the smaller one's fins are absolutely shredded. I reported it to the manager and he just shrugged and walked away. Needless to say I brought them home (only paid for one) and fortunately had two empty tanks set up. Wednesday was not a good day for fish in my house. :(

I have never cared for a battered fish before and don't know what to do for the little guy. His body looks pretty good, but his fins are just shredded. The only thing in the water at the moment is Prime. I didn't want to add anything until I knew what to add. I have to go out and buy it, so might as well buy the right thing.

q7RI1M7.jpg

2. Fanatic Well Known Member Member

That's terrible!
    I'm glad you were able to save them.

3. tunafax Well Known Member Member

Oh dear.

Salt.

Before I can even type up a reply - proper amount of salt and clean water so that none of that even gets a chance to get infected.
    With a daily WC. Smaller tank until he heals.

Edit:

OH DEAR. :( :(

Have some betta revive on hand in case he takes a turn for the worst. The blue kind - don't ever bother with the "natural/herbal" variety.

Small tank with minimum decor, just a hammock, and very low flow so that nothing - and I do mean nothing - can as much as touch those poor, poor fins.

I imagine the other betta had some injuries as well. Salt him too.

Also, double the amount of stress coat. Nothing higher than that, but double dose should help.

Almond leaf will not hurt if you have any on hand. I'm still not sure if almond leaf is placebo for my eyes and I'm just imagining it's helping - but it won't hurt.

4. arvind2205 Member Member

Aquarium salt and clean water. If you can get your hands on a catappa (Indian almond leaf) I found that helps a lot in general, for recovering. I think they both will make it. Good luck and thanks for saving them :)

5. KimberlyG Well Known Member Member

I agree with tunafax.
    The salt will help keep secondary infections at bay and the daily water changes will help in healing. What size tank is he in? (Just for salt dosage. If you are familiar with that, disregard my question.)

6. KaderTheAnt Well Known Member Member

Whoever did that needs to be put in a room with a professional boxer. That's basically what he did to those poor fish! This disgust me to a point where I can't even think correctly.

Aquarium salt and Daily water changes should fix him right up!

7. KimberlyG Well Known Member Member

Oh, I forgot to say...Idiots!!!

8. JaneGael Member Member

The shredded one is in a 3 gallon, the other in a planted 5g. I'm not sure how much salt to add. I'm also not sure about the water change. How much should I change and won't that stress him even more to do it every day? I can get some stress coat. I don't know about the Indian almond though. I'll have to call around tomorrow.

I have some new Java fern Wendilov that's still in pots, could I put some of that in with the shredded one to give him someplace soft to rest?

9. KimberlyG Well Known Member Member

Putting the Java in would be nice. They like to have somewhere to hide, especially when they don't feel well.The Java fern may not like the salt however. For a 3 gallon, I would dose 1/2 teaspoon of aquarium salt that has been dissolved in tank water. (That is a cautious dose. Dosing instructions are 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons) Some people are against using salt. I have used it for years and have never had a bad experience when dosed correctly. One thing to remember if you have never used salt before, salt does not evaporate. You measure the amount of water you take out for water changes, and add the salt for just that amount of water. I would do a 1 1/2 gallon water change every three days and add 1/4 teaspoon of dissolved salt back in. After a week and a half, or two weeks, if everything seems to be going well for him, keep up the water changes but do not put salt back in. You will eventually remove the salt through the changes.

10. JaneGael Member Member

I overbought the fern so I won't cry too hard if I lose it. His comfort is more important right now. Thank you so much for the information. I'm going to add the salt and let him acclimate to that before putting him in. He has a name now - Nuada, who was the first king of the Tuatha Dé Danann of Irish mythology. Nuada was injured in battle and became king anyway. I hope that with a strong name he will grow strong as well.

11. tunafax Well Known Member Member

Keep us updated!

12. Ohio Mark Well Known Member Member

I won't even start on how incredibly irresponsible this store was... I just hate going into "pet departments" and seeing that kind of treatment!

13. JaneGael Member Member

Yay, I can post an update. The site wouldn't let me post this weekend!

The little guy is doing far better than I expected. He's in his Spec III with a 1/2 teaspoon of aquarium salt, the appropriate amount of Stress Coat, Prime and some Stability. I'm doing daily 50% water changes which fascinate him. He's perked up and is eating very well. He's getting a couple of Omega One betta pellets and then in about and hour 2 or 3 frozen brine shrimp. He comes to the top and snatches his food and begs for more. He is incredibly interested in everything going on around him. He's on the kitchen counter and I was worried that he'd be scared. Nope. Bring it on. Chopping onions is fascinating. Doing dishes had him going up and down the tank to see better. He's going to be just fine and we're delighted with him.

His name is now Nuada - the first king of the Tuatha Dé Danann (ancient Ireland) because Nuada was badly wounded and thought he couldn't be king, but persevered and was crowned. The crowntail who beat him up is probably going to remain Shredder - the mentor of the Ninja Turtles. He's a belligerent little bugger and I'm not sure he will allow a shrimp in his tank. He's eating well and not leaving any crumbs.

I called the Animal Shelter today and reported Walmart. The man I spoke to was very concerned and bemoaned companies carrying fish that had no business having them. He promised a spot check and is supposed to call me back. He sounded very distressed over the treatment of these two fish and how dirty the cups are. Let's hope it does some good. Tweeting and posting to Walmart's facebook didn't get me any response.

14. KimberlyG Well Known Member Member

Shredder wasn't the mentor, he was their nemisis. lol. SO glad to hear your little guy is doing better. Continued good luck. Perhaps all he needed was you.

15. bopsalot Well Known Member Member

I think the 2 fish in one container was the sick prank of one souless customer. If the store regularly keeps bettas like that, then yeah, that's clearly abusive.

16. JaneGael Member Member

Oops, you're right. I was confusing him with Splinter. Shredder seems even more appropriate now. LOL It's funny, in that I have been wanting a crowntail and looking for the perfect one. And now I have one -- in a color I already have three times over. But it's okay. He's safe and that's all that matters.

17. JaneGael Member Member

I agree that two fish in one tank was probably to watch them fight. Although when I told the manager of the fish section at Petco about it, he said that one of this dimmer employees did it once because it was easier than going in back for another cup. Fortunately, neither of those two was aggressive. But Nuada is flourishing and seems very happy where he is. I'm glad because literally, every flat surface I have has a tank on it. I'm up to 9, with 8 bettas and I'm out of room.

18. filtered_light Member Member

So glad you were able to rescue them! I was at PetSmart yesterday and wanted to rescue all the bettas from their tiny cups. Boyfriend (wisely) wouldn't let me, as there were far too many, but it always makes me sad to see them. I can't believe someone would put two in one tiny cup. Thanks for being a good person and rescuing the poor little guys! It's so great that he is interested in everything.

19. JaneGael Member Member

Update on Nuada's condition: On the 19th he made his first bubble nest!! He's feeling so sassy he is literally jumping out of the water to take his food. He's coloring up and his fins are getting a darker red. He is in a Spec III but there isn't really room for it on the kitchen counter, so I bought him a Spec V which is longer but not as deep. That will fit just fine and he can continue to monitor all the activity. He's always front and center and is fascinated by everything we do.

Does anyone know how long I need to keep adding salt to his tank?

Shredder, looks great too. He's not as interested in things maybe be cause he just knows he's the king. Right...and I'm Santa Claus LOL

Here's Nuada, looking brighter.

c8eTr8Z.jpg

And here is his first bubble nest. He was so proud of it.

iAoCdAR.jpg

20. KimberlyG Well Known Member Member

He looks great!
    You can probably start gradually removing the salt through water changes. Clean water alone should take care of it now.
    Well done!