Just Realized Something

1. david1978

david1978 Fishlore VIP Member

You know how we advise people to have a plan b for their bettas in a community tank. Im sort of past the point of no return. Lol. I have 10 extra tanks and 16 bettas. So is this a do as i say not as i do? I feel like a hypocrite some times.

2. Demeter

Demeter Well Known Member Member

I'm in the same boat. I have my female betta sorority, then I've got a batch of baby bettas that have finally reached sexual maturity. There's still at least one male with the girls but he behaves pretty well, then I've got a larger male in a breeder basket but he'll be moved out pretty soon.

Then there's my new spawn of betta fry, still tiny little things so I've got time. It's so hard letting go of fish you've bred and raised yourself but you know you can't keep them all.

3. OP
    OP
    david1978

Fortunately i have been able to keep all that have been born in the tank. Lol. A whopping 1 so far. Kind of glad they dont breed like guppies. Its a little harder in a community tank.

4. Gypsy13

Gypsy13 Well Known Member Member

Guppies are outrageous! I don’t care how many times I say stop it! They don’t.
    And the betta thing is a problem. For me any way. Every day there’s something about bettas! Every day I say no! No no no! But my heart says please? Just one? Been down that road. Doesn’t stop at one. Plus I’d have to go to the “store” to rescue one. How could I pick one? Help me! :banghead::banghead::banghead:

5. OP
    OP
    david1978

i need to stay away from any place that sells fish. Lol. My mind fell out this week and i got another male and a baby girl. The girl is red, she needed to come home with me. The males pretty but im still not sure what i was thinking.

6. JLeeM

JLeeM Well Known Member Member

I went to the store yesterday for one thing. Long story short, I found a betta and decided I had to have it. Which meant getting all the stuff for a 5.5 gallon home (which puts me at 4 tanks), and staying up well after dinner to set it up.

Funny thing? I normally have excellent self control. I've left behind absolutely stunning bettas that I wanted a whole lot more before. But this one......I don't know.

IMG_20180525_231324509~2.jpg IMG_20180525_164103568_HDR.jpg

7. SFGiantsGuy

SFGiantsGuy Well Known Member Member

You can possibly seek out store credit at a lfs if overwhelmed. I traded in bettas for Nerites a couple of times. : )

8. OP
    OP
    david1978

Hes pretty. Self control is a little harder when your just adding them to the tank. Lol.

not so much overwhelmed, but this put me at 3 males and 13 girls all in the same tank. So im really pressing my luck. Lol

9. Crafty Cichlid

Crafty Cichlid Member Member

Tuesday, I discovered that my female koi met a grizzly end. She jumped out, and instead of landing on the floor in a puddle, she landed on the glass... Under the light. She looked so peaceful and crispy, like a taxidermist had set her like this.

So to keep my sorority how I want it, and my numbers right, I went to Petco looking for a female koi to pay to rescue from them. (My store actually has some pretty good fish people.) Almost walked out with two, but the price tag got to me, and I wasn't sure the one I left behind was healthy. Swam fine, but didn't like the red around her gill, looked like blood was pooling in the ribcage. So I got a baby girl instead. Nice green sheen to her, red and blue mix, hint of pink. So my numbers are back in order. Now I've got to figure out if my Rosy barbs are going to move to the baby cichlid tank to make room for two more ladies, or if I should just stop. (The rosies were purchased for the baby cichlid tank, because if their size and the general hardiness of barbs. The cat popped the bag before I was ready to float them in the baby tank, so I tossed them in the betta tank. Only thing they nip at, is the duckweed, and that's perfect. Wow that stuff grows.

Side note, and thoughts on why Val I planted early in the week is already melted?

10. JLeeM

JLeeM Well Known Member Member

Oh I bet. Almost makes me want to do all bettas instead of fancy goldfish in a 75 someday. Lol.

Have you got any pictures of some of yours?

11. OP
    OP
    david1978

Theres a bunch on my profile under my media page. My picture taking skills are poor so they aren't the best. Lol

im actually very curious if this can be repeated or if im the luckiest person alive. Lol. I dought the luck part. Cant find much any were of similar set ups but my wife would shoot me if i set up one of the 55's to try it.
    That sucks when they jump out. I sucked my favorite girl into the filter when i was cleaning the end, thats why the red one neede to come with me.

12. Gypsy13

Gypsy13 Well Known Member Member

Y’all are NOT helping! In fact you’re wearing my resolve down to a very thin thread! No I say. No no no. Oh I’m melting fast. No! Oh for Pete’s sake.

13. Crafty Cichlid

Crafty Cichlid Member Member

Siphoning one of my fish might have saved her! I checked her out after her ride, and she has dropsy. I moved her to a HOB breeder box (which is really just an old school bubble operated filter) and am treating the entire tank. I hope she recovers, she's a great blue and red, with that same green sheen that so many have. She's like the bettas I remember as a kid.