Just Purchased a Canister Filter. Have a few Questions.

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by pinkynicca, Dec 5, 2012.

1. p

pinkynicca New Member Member

2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to the forum

I really like those filters. It's only going to come with mechanical media, so you'll have to buy whatever you want to put in it. All of my filters have fluval ceramic prefilter media in the bottom (first) tray, mechanical media in the second, then biomax in the rest. To set it up like mine would require two 500 gram boxes of biomax ($10 each on amazon) and a 750 gram box of the prefilters (about the same $). The beauty of a canister is that you can do whatever you want :)

One thing to be aware of is the quality of the intake and spraybar pieces. They are not the greatest and can break if you are too rough with it. Pieces may come broken, but the sellers are fantastic about replacing the parts, and they give you a lot of pieces so even if a couple break you still have more than you need. It's a minor issue, IMO, and one that is very easily remedied.

3. OP
    OP
    p

pinkynicca New Member Member

thank you for the reply!! is there a way to replace the intake and spray bar? with different pieces? perhaps a different brand or aftermarket pieces?

4. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Of course there is, if you feel it's necessary. I have 4 of these filters and haven't replaced them. You would just need to get something that fits with the diameter tubing. No biggie. The Rena filstar filters have very high quality pieces, but to be honest they don't do any better of a job at doing their job. Beyond the initial setup, it's really a moot point.

5. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice