Just picked up some rocks, anything I should know?

1. apple429 Well Known Member Member

I just picked up some rocks in a field last Wednesday. I scrubbed them, and I am currently soaking them in a bleach solution. Is there anything else I should do, and is it safe? If it is not safe, well I guess nature will have some shiny rocks!

2. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Soak them good in heavily dechlorinated water at least over night :)
    Carol

3. apple429 Well Known Member Member

okay! thank you, I was actually planning on soaking them in freshwater for several days, or maybe even a week (and I do have an air pump in there for circulation ;). just to be sure!

4. ilikeendlers Initiate Member

I believe the addition of rocks raising up the ph in a tank.
    One of my friend told me that rocks raising the ph while wood lowers it.
    So you might want to do a little research on that to see if that will affect anything. =)
    Rocks are cool.

5. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Actually that only happens if it's limestone :) If you are doing weekly partial water changes it's really not even noticeable.

I have rocks and wood in all of my tanks and the ph is the same as my tap water.

Apple429- be sure to add dechlor to the water you rinse/soak them in. this will take the chlorine out of the tap water as well as from where they were bleached.
    carol

6. apple429 Well Known Member Member

Thank You for the reminder!

7. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

Yup a good soak is about all a rock needs. Give it a scrub to take off any terrestrial "stuff" and your good to go.