Just Out Of Curiosity How Long Does It Take You To Clean Your Tank/s?

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by Platyarelife, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Platyarelife

Platyarelife Well Known Member Member

For my 5g Betta tank and my 54g Chichlid and Cray tank, it took me about 2(2 1/2ish) hours give or take. Cleaning the canister filter takes up most the time since it's a lot to pull apart, clean the tiers, replace the filter pad (make the pads), then put it all back together. Then you go the after clean up. Boy oh boy is it a workout.

2. Iverg1

Iverg1 Well Known Member Member

40 minutes for my 1 gallon

3. x

xloe Valued Member Member

I could do my water changes/normal maintenance for 2 tanks (10 and 29) in under 30 minutes for sure. But I kind of love doing tank maintenance so usually I take my time messing with stuff. I also have hob filters, so maybe they're easier to clean than a canister...

4. fishman'iac

fishman'iac Valued Member Member

45 minutes for my 36 gal

5. 2211Nighthawk

2211Nighthawk Fishlore VIP Member

If I hammer through it, takes me an hour for my three tanks. I start the python on the 65, and while that drains down enough I can reach in, I use a bucket and siphon for the 30g and 15g. By then, the 65 is about a third empty, clean that tank, then fill the 2 smaller tanks, and put everything back together while the 65 fills. Cleaning the filters I do while the big tank fills but considering it’s been a while since I last cleaned them, maybe another half hour or so? Also depends on how big of a mess do I make...

6. psalm18.2

psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

Less than 30 minutes. I only have a 1g, 2.6g and 3.7g. Not much water to change. Lol

7. FishFish221

FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

Around an hour for my 70 gallon, 29 gallon and 10 gallon.

8. Mom2some

Mom2some Well Known Member Member

I use a python & don’t clean my canister filter weekly. It is about 30 minutes without the canister.

9. L

Libbyivan New Member Member

Depends on how big and how dirty is the tank , I have undegravel filter also so it take me an hour to clean a 60 gallon tank

10. HORNET1

HORNET1 Well Known Member Member

10 mins for my Fluval Spec V
    30 mins on my 29 gal.

I perform 30% changes twice per week on both tanks which comes out to almost 1.5 hrs per week.

11. Kyleena696

Kyleena696 Valued Member Member

Hour and a half to two hours for my 29 gallon and two tens.

12. ralph113

ralph113 Well Known Member Member

eh?!!! takes me 15min on my 55gal. what do u do??

13. Iverg1

Rinse gravel as I don’t have gravel vacuum scrub walls it’s just an estimate i don’t have a clock by me

14. GrayGray4231

GrayGray4231 Well Known Member Member

It takes me about 15-20 minutes to clean my 2.5 gallon. I do water changes, clean the filter, clean algae buildup etc.

I don't do gravel yet because I don't have a gravel cleaner but I am getting one today.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2018
  15. Iverg1

Wish I could get one but I can’t find one small enough. Also wish I could get a 2.5 gallon tank for my little guy so he would be happier but space is limited

16. FriarThomasIII

FriarThomasIII Well Known Member Member

For my two tanks, 10 and 30 gallons, it takes about 20 minutes to do my water changes and look around. If I'm taking a razor blade to the glass for algea, double it.

17. GrayGray4231

GrayGray4231 Well Known Member Member

O
    Omgosh yesss they are soo hard to find small enough. But the only reason I am getting on is because I am getting a 20-29 gallon tank today after school that I hopefully can use :emoji_fingers_crossed::emoji_fingers_crossed::emoji_fingers_crossed:

18. FriarThomasIII

FriarThomasIII Well Known Member Member

That's wonderful. I'm excited to hear that!

19. Niki Rose

Niki Rose Well Known Member Member

I have to use buckets for all my tanks because I have separate hot and cold taps that prevent me from using a python or hose. To clean the substrate, glass and a 50% water change it takes me 4h 30min to do all tanks, 2 hours of that I spend just on my 70gal.

20. LowieTheLoach

LowieTheLoach Valued Member Member

About 30 min a piece on the two 20g and one 10g tanks. The 55g tank takes an hour to 1.5 hours. The two 20g tanks are my kids' tanks so it's more supervision than just me doing it all. My 6 year old loves being responsible for vacuuming his tank and feeding his crayfish. Wish he was that enthusiastic about his room.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice