Just Out Of Curiosity, Do Sterbai Corydoras Eat...

madelyn anne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Fishy poop? LOL

I know that might sound crazy, but before I got them, I used to see OBVIOUS fishy poop on the substrate as I was gravel vacuuming, and I don't see that anymore (as much) which is surprising, as I have more fish now than I did then.

So my question is, do they eat fish poop? And if they don't, do they "break it down" then spit it out, making it harder to see?

Thanks!

xx

Mrsoctober

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Haha!
I don’t know about that, but they do tend to root around a bunch maybe they’re causing the poo to fall deeper into the gravel?

madelyn anne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Mrsoctober said:
Haha!
I don’t know about that, but they do tend to root around a bunch maybe they’re causing the poo to fall deeper into the gravel?
Yeah! I mean it looks like they actually suck some of the sand up, then spit it out...so I wonder if they do the same with the poo poo and it just kind of breaks down a bit.

My fish will do that too, see a little poop floating and go up and eat it, thinking it's food, then immediately spit it out realizing it's poo poo. Haha.

It's just weird, cause the amount of debris I have with the Sterbais is like...not even a FRACTION of what I had beforehand. It's kind of interesting.

Mrsoctober

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ya that’s interesting they do sift through the sand to find food and spit the sand out.

My angel fish will eat the poop and spit it out and a second later forget it’s not food and try to eat it again and again lol.

madelyn anne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Mrsoctober said:
Ya that’s interesting they do sift through the sand to find food and spit the sand out.

My angel fish will eat the poop and spit it out and a second later forget it’s not food and try to eat it again and again lol.
LOL - so does my angel! Angelfish are nutty with food. Mine, his name is Oscar, searches the sand for bits of food, nips at EVERYTHING he thinks he can possibly eat, and will follow my finger on the glass, thinking I have food. He also sits at the corner of the tank closest to me, and begs like a puppy.

It's pretty funny, they're full of personality, angelfish.

RSababady

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
madelyn anne said:
Yeah! I mean it looks like they actually suck some of the sand up, then spit it out...so I wonder if they do the same with the poo poo and it just kind of breaks down a bit.
Cory Catfish family are bottom feeders. They have a special way of eating food as they suck in through their mouths and blow out water and debris through their gills, sometimes filtering substrate if it fine enough.
They use their barbels to smell food, so they will avoid poo consciously. They eat most foods and are known to scavenge on dead fish if they are left in the tank. I feed mind with bloodworms, pellets, algae tablets to give them a mixed diet.
If the substrate is not kept clean, they can pick up infections because of the way they filter food and blow water out through their gills.

NavigatorBlack

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Certainly, there are species that leave behind rich wastes as their digestive systems aren't very efficient. A lot of fish feed on such leftovers, and I see no reason why a Corydoras wouldn't.
It's part of the diet of what are called detritivores.
We are touchy about it because of the scavenger myths that have killed a lot of lovely Corys. These fish aren't scavengers. They are bottom feeders that need their own food sources. If we want to put it in context, you and I are bottom feeders compared to birds. But we are not necessarily scavengers.
Corydoras don't have a diet of poop and garbage. A tasty piece may interest them, depending on what is in it and what you feed your fish. But it isn't a big part of what they want.

angelfishguppie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mine don't (6 albino sternum, 2, standard sterbai and 4 aneus) there would still be visible poo.

I purposely added MTS almost a year ago and have not seen any poop laying about since!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom