Just ordered a fluval fx5

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by leeishom, Apr 7, 2010.

1. l

leeishom Valued Member Member

Planning to have the fluval filtrate my new 125 gallon along side a aquaclear 50.
    Do you guys think it'll keep my tank clean? I did the math part so realistically it should be well equipped.

Fishes: 3 discus, 3 golden gouramis and a jardini.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  2. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

I ordered one for my 125g, I almost thought it would be too much but then I think about it and I think it will be great. :)

3. OP
    OP
    l

leeishom Valued Member Member

From what I've read, the water output is high, but how to know when to rinse the foam pads?
    Do you use the fluval carbon?

4. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

You rinse when they get gunky. I've had a fluval 305 for 6 months, and rinsed once so far.

Using carbon is a personal choice. Some people swear by it. Others choose not to use it.

5. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

I have the canister but the tank is not setup yet as I am moving up the hill as soon as the house is finished.

i don't use carbon. Like what Meenu said, it's more of a personnel choice. For media I have decided on putting Biomax in the bottom basket and the middle basket with a fine filter pad on the top of the biomax to trap fine particles, for the top I am going to use the Pre-filter to catch larger particles.

For maint. it depends on how stocked the tank is & with what, not overfeeding, keeping up on water changes, gravel vac, stuff like that. IMO I too have to learn how long it can go without having to be rinsed. With my HOB ACs I rinse them about every 2-3 weeks.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice