Just Need A Cleaning Tip, Fry Tank

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by Bubbleguppy9382, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Bubbleguppy9382Valued MemberMember

My nursery tank with 8-10. 6 day old guppy fry is disgusting foggy and starting to smell a little I want to clean it but last time I tryed to clean my community tank I lost 2 guppy. How do i make it less gross with out hurting the babys?

Attached Files:

2. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

Looks like a bacterial bloom from the whitish cloudy water u should check your parameters to see where their at n do a WC and add some prime don’t touch the filter imo

3. Bubbleguppy9382Valued MemberMember

This stuff? Like 2 drops? My only batch of fry I've had so far all very happy healthy already have yellow black and blue in them I want to have them survive I have some with family's already just waiting for them to be a little older and I want to keep a couple since I lost some

When I did a 2/3 water change in community tank I replace the cartridge in the filter and added 2 drops of this stuff almsot isntly water was defogger but a week later I lost 2 fish others are fine so I'm scared to do this 1 but maybe if I dont touch the filter :) I'll take so.e water and have it tested petco seems more knowledgeable

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2019
  4. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

Yes that’s the good stuff... is your tank a 5 gallon? I usually go to the bottom thread of the cap it’s ok to add a bit extra to neutralize any unsafe water elements

When your budget allows you invest in an API freshwater master kit so u can test your water yourself... the stores will tell u something is out of wack and always try to sell u something. Find the API kit on your phone for about $20 and show Petco and they will honor it they usually have them in stock

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2019
  5. Bubbleguppy9382Valued MemberMember

My ph and nitro are really really high... like the 2nd to darkest

6. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

7. mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

The very best thing you can do to help these babies grow up fast and strong is keep their water as clean as possible even if that means daily water changes.

Leave the filter alone, That is where most of the bacteria grows. That bacteria is eating the ammonia and nitrites and is leaving nitrates behind. The nitrates are removed with water changes. If this tank isn't fully cycled it just means there isn't enough bacteria yet to eat all of the ammonia and nitrites. Water changes should keep both of them low enough not to harm your guppy fry.

As long as you add Prime to the new water before you pour it in there your babies will be fine. You also want to make sure the new water is close to the same temp as the water in the tank.

What size is this tank? If I were you I would fill it up. The more water you have in there the more diluted the ammonia will be.

8. Bubbleguppy9382Valued MemberMember

He showed me the numbers I dont remember them but oh was super high in community i want to say like 100... he said these drops should work that i already have but 2 drops for a 10 gallon isnt enough to filter out half a tank and add warm fresh water with 10 droos in it...is that accurate my oh was a tiny bit off in nursery tank but nothing alarming he said it wouldn't hurt to do a half dose and filter out they're water either waters super foggy though said I could get defogging drops but these should work

9. Bubbleguppy9382Valued MemberMember

Thank you so much! Petco just said the sne think my ph was like 100 in community tan kexplains why they're dying! My nursery was a hair high dont remember that number but was 2nd darkest on scale he said 10 drops if prime with 5 gal should work

10. mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

Don't add anything other than Prime during your water changes. Fresh clean water is all you need. 10 drops of Prime with each water change will be enough.
    I don't think s/he knew what she was doing if s/he said one of your readings was 100 unless s/he meant nitrates. Do your water changes and your babies should be fine.

11. RSababadyWell Known MemberMember

I had about 50 angelfish fry in a small 5g tank.
    I managed to change 50% of the water daily by using this simple method:
    1. using small diameter tubing pushed down the outlet of the sponge filter (switched the filter off during this water change - i.e. no compressed air generating bubbles) with a tap on the other end of it to regulate the flow, I drained water from the tank slowly (2 gallons per hour).
    2. using similar tubing with another tap on the end to regulate the water flow, I replaced the removed water simultaneously. I used a 5 gallon tank of clean warm treated water trickling back into the breading tank.
    So effectively I was removing and replacing water at the same time. To change 50% of the water in this way, you need to replace the equivalent amount of the tank volume i.e. 5 gallons in a 5 gallon tank - as the fresh water is mixed with the existing water and this mixed water is being syphoned out at the same time.

Of the 50 angle fish fry I lost 7 during their growing up...... I consider this a success :)

I hope you find this method useable.

12. Bubbleguppy9382Valued MemberMember

I got clear water drops does anyone know if they're safe with guppy fry?

13. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

You can probably check online or the website of the drops you got.. what kind are they? Acurel?

14. Bubbleguppy9382Valued MemberMember

The drops I got...its purple liquid 3 petstores re commended it and I didnt see anything on google saying I couldn't

Attached Files:

15. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

It says it’s safe for fish but may discolor things .. I would either do a half dose or let nature take it course and let your BB catch up like I said it looks like a bacterial bloom

16. Bubbleguppy9382Valued MemberMember

Thank you it's been like this and getting worse even after water changes which are a pain, makes fish more complicated then cats, I'll do a half dose

17. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

Also strongly recommend getting an API kit to do your own water tests instead of like I said relying on the stores to do it and sell u something.. the top 3 tests imo are ammonia nitrites and nitrates ...

18. Bubbleguppy9382Valued MemberMember

They actually told me to get a test kit but money is tight rn I didnt know this mama was even pregnant

19. Bubbleguppy9382Valued MemberMember

They seem ok

20. Bubbleguppy9382Valued MemberMember

My favorite fry has blue on top and bottom fins hard to see in nasty water though