Just Mollies Or Mollies With Platies?

ASHLEY R COOK

Well Known Member
Messages
649
Reaction score
212
Points
78
Experience
Just started
I have 3 mollies. I either think ill do 6 mollies (1:5) or 4 mollies (1:3) and 4 platies (1:3).
Are platies very similar to mollies?
I love my mollies
 

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Messages
5,768
Reaction score
706
Points
358
Experience
More than 10 years
How big is the tank, and are you planning on breeding them? It looks like you're giving a gender ratio. Platies will do fine with mollies, and there are lots of cute shapes and colors. The only issue would be what to do with all the fry
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3

ASHLEY R COOK

Well Known Member
Messages
649
Reaction score
212
Points
78
Experience
Just started
endlercollector said:
How big is the tank, and are you planning on breeding them? It looks like you're giving a gender ratio. Platies will do fine with mollies, and there are lots of cute shapes and colors. The only issue would be what to do with all the fry
Are platies similar to mollies in personality?
The fry will be ate or given away.
It's a 37 gal and I also will have a gourami and 6 cories.
 

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Messages
5,768
Reaction score
706
Points
358
Experience
More than 10 years
Fairly similar. You can pull up some videos of them on YouTube to see if you like them. What kind of gourami do you have? It can handle the hard, alkaline water that livebearers need or you've got them all met halfway?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5

ASHLEY R COOK

Well Known Member
Messages
649
Reaction score
212
Points
78
Experience
Just started
endlercollector said:
Fairly similar. You can pull up some videos of them on YouTube to see if you like them. What kind of gourami do you have? It can handle the hard, alkaline water that livebearers need or you've got them all met halfway?
I don't have one yet. Either 3 spot or dwarf both are kept in the same water conditions at the pet shop
 

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Messages
5,768
Reaction score
706
Points
358
Experience
More than 10 years
ASHLEY R COOK said:
I don't have one yet. Either 3 spot or dwarf both are kept in the same water conditions at the pet shop
I have found that 3 spot gouramis are much tougher than dwarf gouramis and can adapt to hard, alkaline water. Dwarf gouramis tend to keel over. Sigh. The Thai fish farms strike again. They have the perfect water for dwarf gouramis, and then they also medicate a lot. These poor fish don't have much of a chance when they come all the way from Thailand and then get dumped into harder water.
 

Dch48

Well Known Member
Messages
2,240
Reaction score
1,436
Points
208
Experience
More than 10 years
Mollys eat more vegetable material than Platys do but they are compatible.
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom