Just lost Marty! :(

*Hannah*

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I just lost my zebra danio named Marty a couple of hour ago.:'( I don't know why he died. All my parameter are fine Ammonia 0 Nitrites 0 Nitrates 0-10. He was ate normal this morning and no signs of sickness. I did my weekly 25% water change this late afternoon. I guess I could of shocked him, but I even made sure the water was the same temp. I don't think is from old age, because I have only had him for 5 1/2 months. I wonder why he died. I lost a platy a couple of weeks ago too. Same thing no signs of sickness was acting normal then died. I hope my other fish don't died. I am not good with pet deaths.:'( At least his in animal heaven.:;a;D

R.I.P, Marty and Sunshine!

*Hannah*

*Hannah*

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I am still wondering how he died. I guess I will never know.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

So sorry to hear that you've lost Marty. Sometimes things happen beyond our control. Too, sometimes you never really know how old some fish may be when they are purchased, not to mention everything they've been through from the breeders to the fish store to your home.

Also ammonia poisoning can have long term side effects. Exposure today may not mean ill health tomorrow but more on down the road. His conditions prior to you purchasing the fish could have been bad.

Hang in there!
Ken

*Hannah*

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Now one of my zebra danios has a cut on his stomach. Do you think he will heal? I don't want to loose a other fish? This off the zebra danio topic, but my platy is being very aggressive. He has been trying to nip all my fishes fins. He has been nipping my Betta fins, I have seen him do it. How can I make him stop? Why is he so aggressive? I thought they where peaceful fish. At least that is what I was told.

Sorry for all the questions. I just don't want to loose any more of my fish.

*Hannah*

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Platies can be fin nippers, he is probably the one responsible for the cut on the danio and could even have killed Marty. I would recommend separating him from everyone else, then maybe after a couple of days try him again with the others, but you will probably have to re-home him or take him back to the store if he is a real problem.

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Platies can be fin nippers, he is probably the one responsible for the cut on the danio and could even have killed Marty. I would recommend separating him from everyone else, then maybe after a couple of days try him again with the others, but you will probably have to re-home him or take him back to the store if he is a real problem.
??? My platys don't nip fins, unless it's two males in a small tank with one female.

Maybe you have some really violent platys NMfishman

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Aw, I'm sorry
If the cut is just small, he should be just fine, I've seen that before (check for any decorations or anything that may be sharp). Keep his water very clean and add some Stress Coat to help him.

The betta ideally should be kept by itself, few fish can resist munching the long flowing fins! Also one day the betta may decide it doesn't want to play nice anymore and fight back, devastating...

*Hannah*

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I don't have a extra tank for the platy or betta. I was going to buy a tank for the betta, but I am low on money right now. I don't think my betta would ever fright anything. He is a really sweat boy! Today the platy seem to be leaving everyone alone. I will keep a close eye on him anyway.

The cut on the danio doesn't look that bad. I was just worried, but aren't we all? I did put some stress coat in there yesterday, and he does look better today.

Thanks for all the help!

*Hannah*

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom