Just joined the site

FishnFry

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello everyone! I'm new to the site and just found it while surfing the net on angelfish. I rescued 2 angelfish from a local guy but since I haven't kept angelfish before I thought I'd do some research to find out what's best for them. That's when I found this informative and fun site. I look forward to reading the old and new posts here as I know there's still a whole lot to learn in the fishkeeping hobby. I'm not entirely new to this hobby but I am still getting lots of info from folks like you guys and I hope I can also be of help in some small ways I can.

Stradius011

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
HI and Welcome to the Forum! How big is the aquarium that the angels are in?

Neville

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
hi, welcome to fishlore!! angels r cool, I have 8 baby angels, u will need at least a 20 gallon tank for 2 of them, they grow up to 6 inches.

OP
FishnFry

FishnFry

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.

Stradius011 said:
HI and Welcome to the Forum! How big is the aquarium that the angels are in?
The angels are in a QT 25g tall right now just by themselves then they'll be moved into the bigger planted community tank with 9 neon tetras, 22 rummy-nose tetras, 2 platies, 10 pearl danios & lots of guppies along with the bottom feeders 4 corydoras sterbaI and a few bristlenose plecos oh and some (4) yellow apple snails. I also have about 8 red cherry shrimp to put in the bigger tank (currently in a QT 50g) but with the recent adoption of angels, the plan might change unless the angels will leave the RCS alone.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Welcome to fishlore and good job on rescuing those 2 beautiful fish. I've not been fortunate enough to have a tank for Angels yet, but i've been tempted to buy them many times. How big is your community tank? We'd love to see your tanks & fish, sounds like you've got quite a setup there and I bet your community tank is something to see.

OP
FishnFry

FishnFry

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you all for the kind words.

Tank is still a work-in progress as it's originally an african tank set-up. Then I converted it into a planted community tank with 14 discus in it then finally into a no-discus planted community tank.

Set-up 2 months ago:

Currently:

I'm still trying to get some java moss to grow/cover most on the front and maybe some more easy-to-grow broad leafy plants for the background.

The tank has:
- 22 rummy-nose tetras
- 9 neons
- 10 pearl danios
- 2 breeding pair of platies and 3 babies
- guppies (lots of them)
- several BN plecos
- 4 breeding group of cory sterbai
- 4 yellow apple snails

I was thinking of getting a pair of german blue rams but with the recent adoption of 2 angelfish, plan needs to be changed as I don't know the outcome with the 2 species together.

The plan is:

- take out the danios, & guppies (just leave the males with nice colorations)
- add : 2 angels I adopted last week after QT
some red cherry shrimp after QT

I'm also thinking of getting some maybe 50-100 cardinals to replace the neons.

I wonder if the RCS would be OK with all its tankmates. I know I'm taking a chance with the newly adopted angelfish and maybe I might just leave the RCS out in a smaller tank. BTW the tank is a 130g.
Let me know what you think. Oh and pls feel free to view some of my fishy pictures (just click on my sig).

Thanks.

Attachments

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Adding the cardinals sounds cool, just add up the adult sizes of everything & keep the 1" of adult fish per gallon guideline in mind.

Great pics on your site, btw.

OP
FishnFry

FishnFry

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you! What about the Cherry Shrimp? Do you think they will be OK with the angels?

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
i'd be concerned they'd be lunch but I'm not sure as i've not had angels & cherry shrimp. If you're looking at those shrimp for algae control, you might think about an apple snail. They get bigger (about baseball size), but 1 can keep a tank clean from what I hear and your tank is definitely big enough for an apple snail to have room to move. He'll probably need algae wafers set pretty much right in front of where he's at, even a little under him as dietary supplement but the angels definitely wouldn't be trying to eat him.

OP
FishnFry

FishnFry

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The shrimps are just for colors. I love them as they are really cute and I think it would look really great with (little) reds all over oh and they are fun to watch. I do have lots of bristlenose in the tank and yellow apple snails as well as corydoras which should help algae control. I got the shrimp before I adopted the angels. I think I'll just keep them where they're at for now just to be safe.

Thanks.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sounds good and they are pretty.. we can't find those shrimp anywhere that we've looked but their pictures are pretty. Best of luck with all your aquatic population.

Luniyn

Well Known
Reaction score
Welcome to Fishlore! That's a beautiful tank you've got started there. Can't wait to see it in a few months when things grow in, that should look fantastic.

OP
FishnFry

FishnFry

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks!

I added the 2 angels to the main tank last night and today I decided to take out most of my guppies (45 of them females and juvis) left a few males that have nice coloration and all the danios. All in all I took 57 fish to the fish store. It certainly made a big difference after that. Then just after a couple hours, saw lots of eggs on one of the leaves with the 2 taking turns fanning/blowing the eggs. Hope to have a successful hatch from this.

New Threads