Just Ideas...

1. Brokenshadows34 Member Member

Hey everyone.

Well, I've been sitting around at a hospital for most of the day today (long story) so I've been alone with my thoughts for a while. Of course, they eventually drifted to fish. I've been interested in cichlids since I've taken care of some at my school, and I was hoping to eventually turn my tank into a mostly-cichlid environment.

Which is why I've been researching a lot about cichlids for a several hours.

I just have a broad question: in my 45 gallon cube tank, could angelfish, German blue rams, and Cockatoo cichlids peacefully coexist? I know the GBRs need fully cycled water, and my tank's been up since December, and has been cycled for months. I'm good on my parameters.

Could I breed one or more of the species together? I also realize they will need cover and breaks in lines of sight, but this will (if I decide to do this) be a slow progression into a cichlid tank. I'll build it up to be adequate, with rocks and the like.

I already have one angelfish, so I realize that they can be larger than what many people think they can be when they are sold baby angels at the pet store.

If it helps or harms, my tank is 24 inches in width and length, and 19 inches tall. I have more than enough filtration and my flow is moderate-slow.

Also, would I be able to add a small school of tetras as dither fish? If there was any aggression, I would think the cichlids would take it out on the fast-moving tetras rather than each other.

I could be out of my mind, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

Thanks.

2. Kindafishy Well Known Member Member

GBR's and angels can get along, as they are both semi-aggressive cichlids. I have not owned cockatoo cichlids, but they are one of the dwarf species and I would think they also would get along with those 2 species. I'm sure someone smarter than me will correct me, if I'm wrong.

3. Brokenshadows34 Member Member

I was thinking I could eventually get a couple angels, a pair of GBRs, and three Cockatoo cichlids (one male, two female) with a school of red-eye tetras and my butterfly pleco. Is that overstocked, or..?

4. Brokenshadows34 Member Member

Any suggestions?