Just how hardy are inverts and fry. Question

1. smee82 Well Known Member Member

I have a 5L plastic bowl thing that i chuck all my trimmings in mainly, ricca that i use around my house plants. I decided to change the water in in for new old tank water and found 3 fry either CPD's or Dario Dario and an easy dozen baby RCS. The fry look like eyelash hairs with eyes and the shrimp 1/2cm to 2cm so they are all very young.

There have been many other threads about people finding fry or fish that have raised themselves in nearly empty tank with inches of water. I was wondering do you think it is possible that we try too hard when we raise them ourselves and?

why is it they can thrive and even breed in old dirty water but not in that nice clean water we give them?

2. Sayba Well Known Member Member

I raised my fry in an old tupperware box flating in my tank for a few weeks before I got their tank cycled. I think they probably would have been fine in there for a long time. I think maybe their tiny bodies get used to water being perfect, as soon as something goes wrong it shocks them to death.

3. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

A lot of it has to do with the available protozoa (in terms of fish fry) and decaying plant matter for the inverts. The bowl/tank may appear barren, but it may have just the right amount of food to keep the fry alive. On the other hand, RCS are some of the hardiest inverts out their and always seem to find a way to survive and procreate.

I think the main reason we try so hard and are so specific in breeding methods has to do with mass production. In the wild, it matters less if the majority die and a small minority live. Their biology has already taken into account that most will not make it. But if someone wants to sell discus, angels, or inverts (or whatever), each death is a few dollars not made.