Just gotta say

shollia

Valued Member
Reaction score
That even though I don't own any bettas (at the moment)... reading all of the posts here and how much love you guys have for them is really making me catch the betta bug.
I spent all last night here reading various topics and at that bettatalk website reading the stories people sent in and I just can't wait to eventually get my very own betta!
I already know that I want a 5gallon tank for one to sit in this nice cubby on my desk.. and eventually want a female in another 5gallon to sit next to the other so the 2 bettas can flirt with eachother
I wanted to get a betta for our 28gallon tank, but with the kind of fish my bf wants, I knew it wasn't going to be possible and if we did get one, it would soon be without fins.
So I just told him that I WILL get me my betta eventually heh
I'm just gonna be getting me one from one of the LPSs here since I think those need better homes ASAP.

And yeah *nodnod* You guys are great & I love reading all your posts and whenever I do eventually get me my babies... I'll be sure to share them with ya'll

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Welcome to fishlore Shollia!! You without a doubt will not regret getting a Betta. They are such great fish. They are compassionate, loving, caring living beings. They really do communicate with you too. Whenever I approach Mr. Red he comes to me. If I'm in the kitchen he he'll watch me do what I'm doing. They really like being involved in everything you do. So, when you do get one just enjoy him/her. Natalie

AesSedai

Valued Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure they're fish.
I think they came from another planet.

They don't resemble fish here at all <g>

Welcome to FishLore ((shollia))

It's a given almost, I think, that someone that reads up on Bettas before even getting one will make a fantastic Betta mom!  So wise, and, if you have the bug now, you will SURELY have it when you experience these special (and SMART) creatures! 

How long do you have to wait?  I wonder if Petco still has the 5 gallon hex on sale for $29.99  You could get the tank cycled....while you wait.

shollia

Valued Member
Reaction score
Well we don't have a Petco here. We only have Superpets (which I really don't like going to) and another one called Petsmart that's a little further away.
I'll just have to wait until whenever we have a little extra money and shop around a little to see what tank I actually want Also want to wait until our 28gallon is fully cycled so I can see about using it's filter or gravel to help cycle a 5gallon (I'll have to read up more on that though)

LZ Floyd

Valued Member
Reaction score
Welcome Shollia!  It sounds like you're getting well prepared to get a Betta, or two.  They are pretty cool fish, y'know!  And it's nice you want to get one that needs a home ASAP.  Sometimes the lps Bettas come with a litany of problems that will need attention.  If it comes to that, you can find help here pretty much anytime you need it.

Not sure that PetCo has the Hex 5s at $29.99 anymore; their site said $44.95.  Wal-Mart is another place to check, though.

WRT cycling, the Bio-Spira method is probably the quickest route.  But there are several ways to cycle a tank.  If you've not already done so, check out the sticky's on the Betta Fish page.

Mike

AesSedai

Valued Member
Reaction score
shollia said:
Well we don't have a Petco here. We only have Superpets (which I really don't like going to) and another one called Petsmart that's a little further away.
I'll just have to wait until whenever we have a little extra money and shop around a little to see what tank I actually want Also want to wait until our 28gallon is fully cycled so I can see about using it's filter or gravel to help cycle a 5gallon (I'll have to read up more on that though)
Smart. I hear peeps hear talking about using old filter media or gravel in a bag so you're onto something for sure. Having a tank shipped to you would probably be too expensive because of the weight or you could shop online and get the best price.

I look forward to your post introducing your new guy or girl Betta

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I see a lot of the folks have beaten me to the welcome, but I want to put my two cents worth in of course. I want you to know that I admire you for taking the time to get to know about bettas before you buy. I respect anyone who is willing to learn, don't get me wrong, whether it be before or after the purchase, but you will save yourself some problems this way, I believe.

I love the fact that you are getting your bettas from those needing homes. It is a personal failure of mine that I have been unable to do so.

If you need help on the care and raising of the betta when you get it, it is available here. We have a great group of people here who are ready, willing and able to help and are the best group of people in the world in my opinion. You are also free to continue to browse at your desire the posts that are made here and in other areas of the forum and you will learn a lot from the problems and posts of the others. Please feel free to make any comments or ask any questions you may have and we will do the best we can to help.

Thank you for joining us and we look forward to getting to know you and your future Betta better..

Rose

AesSedai

Valued Member
Reaction score
chickadee said:
I love the fact that you are getting your bettas from those needing homes. It is a personal failure of mine that I have been unable to do so.
Sorry Rose but you can't take that rap!! A failure?? I think not. I believe you have trouble getting out and about? That's not a failure. Also, do you know...(yes you do)...how many you have taught to care for Bettas the right way? If any of those go to get a Betta in trouble in a store, you are why they are able to do that!

No matter what the future brings me for Bettas, I'll always remember the incredibly helpful person named Rose that taught me how to care for the creatures I love so much (directly and indirectly you've taught me) and how much more confidence I have today than before I came to FishLore. I'm not ready to rescue Betta yet but when I am, I have you (and everyone else here) to thank for that.

And...you DO rescue suffering Bettas every single day here in the forum

Namaste Dear One

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes I agree Rose if you can't get to the stores then it's not any failure for not buying there.

Shollia, I hope you can get your Bettas soon! Little tip on how to cheat and skip the cycle...when the 28 is cycled don't bother with the filter media trick...just stick the whole filter into the 28, leave it there a week or two, and viola! you have a seeded filter, no hastle. when you are ready to get Mr. or Mrs. Betta, simply stick the filter in the tank, add the fish, and you have an instantly cycled tank. ;D This is also a good way to keep an extra filter cycled for a q tank which is only occasionally in use.

shollia

Valued Member
Reaction score
Now see, this is why I'm just in love with this place and all of you people! lol
I don't even know ya but your total love of our aquatic friends and the other people on this forum is just so heartwarming! Dern you people! I'm gonna choke from all the gooey sweetness! hehe

And don't you worry, if I have a question I'll be sure to ask it! I want to learn as much as I can about bettas (or any other fish) before I get one.

And thanks 0morrokh for that most helpful trick! I hadn't even thought of that heh. Sounds like a sure fire way though to get a cycled tank in no time!
We're hopefully gonna be heading to a petstore tomorrow so I can browse around for my future 5gallons

divakeeks

Valued Member
Reaction score
Welcome Shollia! better late than never, eh?

The betta bug is VERY easy to catch!!! I bought my first betta one a whim a year or so ago and I haven't stopped owning them since!! They are SO much fun!!!

Can't wait to see your new friend and the setup you get!! There are so many choices!!!!!

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Bettas are really special fish. Don't get me wrong, I love all fish (and animals) but Bettas just have so much personality you really can fall in love with them!
I got my first Betta about 4 months ago (has it really only been 4 months!) while my cat was dying of cancer. I was so distraught over the cat and heartbroken. I wanted a pet to take care of that I wouldn't get so attached to so that when it died I wouldn't have to go through what I did with my cat (and many other pets I've owned and lost over the years).
Within days of getting Phlox I knew I was attached but it was too late. He had so much personality and love in him to give. Now, four months later I have SEVEN Bettas (2 males, 5 females) and tanks all around me!
It is so rewarding to go to the store and get a sad, abused, cold and sometimes sick little Betta who is just floating quietly in a tiny cup and see their little faces light up when they are released into a large warm tank with plants and ornaments to explore! It must seem like paradise for them! They become so active and joyful it's hard to take your eyes off them!
I've had a very sick, starved and abused female Betta who was on the verge of death just SPRING to life after coming home and being put into a warm clean tank with some antibiotics. That was all she needed and within 12 hours she was swimming around and within 24 hours the swelling and infection in her gills had gone down enough that she was able to eat, probably for the first time in a long time! She has now gained weight and is active and healthy. (and strong enough to be a bit of a bully as well!  )
These fish have an incredible will to live if given a reason to live. Something about being in that tiny cup on a dark shelf, pushed way to the back where no one can see them just breaks these fish and they give up on themselves and sink into a deep depression. This kind of stress plus the dirty, cold, ammonia filled water in the cup causes finrot at the very least and many other bacterial infections.  I have tested the water in the cups after bringing my fish home and have found ammonia levels as high as 3 and temps as low as 58 degrees! I'm amazed they live more than a few days in those conditions!  An employee at Petsmart told me most are bought within a few days but those that aren't usually die within a week to ten days. 
Every new member who comes here having just bought a new Betta or who is going to buy one makes me so happy! I know then that at least one more Betta will be getting the proper care they need and deserve!
And Rose, you haven't failed... You have kept this forum active by promptly answering questions and because of that so many of us come here every day and keep posting. People cannot get the information they need on an inactive forum. Many store bought "cup Bettas" are living healthier, happier lives in bigger tanks thanks to you and this active forum.
shollia, we look forward to meeting your Betta(s) and hearing your stories. 

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Sorry Rose but you can't take that rap!! A failure?? I think not. I believe you have trouble getting out and about? That's not a failure. Also, do you know...(yes you do)...how many you have taught to care for Bettas the right way? If any of those go to get a Betta in trouble in a store, you are why they are able to do that!

No matter what the future brings me for Bettas, I'll always remember the incredibly helpful person named Rose that taught me how to care for the creatures I love so much (directly and indirectly you've taught me) and how much more confidence I have today than before I came to FishLore. I'm not ready to rescue Betta yet but when I am, I have you (and everyone else here) to thank for that.

And...you DO rescue suffering Bettas every single day here in the forum

Namaste Dear One
I have to agree about Rose. When I first got Mr. Red I downloaded an E-book about them to find out info about them. I have to say Rose has taught me a lot more then what those books say. Rose I have to say you're the best. Natalie

gammerus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
True enough, I have learned more than I thought possible about bettas from the people at this site and rose.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I am more than happy to be of some use here and it is my pleasure to help anyone. I only am saying that I wish that I could offer a home to some of the poor little bettas in the cups. I am so glad that some of you have been helped in some way by my ramblings and believe me that you all inspire this Betta Board and the Bettas that we all own are the stars of our heaven here. They are the reason behind the Board and deserve the credit for being my inspiration a lot of time.

Rose

gammerus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Its not really a bad thing to buy from breeders, you are encouraging a fair and humane market ;D

shollia

Valued Member
Reaction score
I think it'd be neat to try to breed bettas. But I know I would never be able to do it. Not with all the room you would have to dedicate for it. And then having to part with the little guys! heh

Anywho! I just got offered a art project from my bf's grandfather to paint 2 pics for him for his lodge (part of the whole masons thing). If it all comes through and he doesn't forget.. I could make $500+
I'm also waiting for some money from this online store my sis-in-law setup. She's using my artwork so I'm getting half of the profit. We've sold alot so I hope we'll be getting a check for that soon.

Lil Bettas... I'm coming for ya slowly but surely!! heh

Question..... Do the major petstores usually carry female bettas? I can't ever remember seeing females. Think I'm gonna have to look into that... *nodnod*

gammerus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
yeah, I have seen females at walmart, petsmart, and petco.

shollia

Valued Member
Reaction score
gammerus said:
yeah, I have seen females at walmart, petsmart, and petco.

Alrighty! Guess I'll just have to open my eyes then heh. I've probably just overlooked them thinking they were a different kind of fish heh

I do have a question!
I would really like to get a live plant(s) to put in the tanks. Which would you folk recommend? Which would the betta(s) love the best?

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
You definitely need to get Java fern for your tank! They are very easy, undemanding plants and they do a great job cleaning your water of bad things your Betta should not be exposed to. They look nice too. All my tanks have a little Cabomba in it too. It's a soft fuzzy looking thing that looks delicate but is remarkably hardy and doesn't shed too much. All my fish LOVE Cabomba. The boys like to lie on it and bend it all the way to the gravel, sitting on it like a sofa. It just springs right back up when they are done. It doesn't grow roots so it needs to be weighted down with a rock or ornament. I leave a piece floating at the top sometimes too. My fish like to float under it while sleeping.
Some folks like java moss too but you need to know that it grows fast and takes over your tank very quickly, getting into your filter and clogging things up bad.
Other plants I've been successful with are dwarf hairgrass (it's like a patch of grass from your lawn), Red Ludwigia, Sword plants (there are many different types) and Cardamine lyrata, a beautiful bushy plant that drapes across the top like a canopy. My girls burrow into it to sleep. It's very calming and makes the fish feel secure. This plant needs to be kept away from the filter outlet or airstone as any strong current directly on it will tear it apart. Otherwise quite hardy.
I have other plants that I don't know the names to that are great, and I've had some that died within a week of bringing it home. One actually just disintegrated overnight!
Avoid Hornwort, VERY messy.
Just ask the sales person at the fish store which plants are easy to take care of. Almost ALL stores will carry java fern. If you get only one plant that is the best one for the health of your tank. Get some tall plants for the back of the tank (make sure they are not too tall for your tank) and some small ones to fill in spots at the front and you'll have a beautifully landscaped tank. Live plants are a little more expensive but SOOOO worth it! Plastic just doesn't compare!
As for what Bettas like... I haven't seen a live plant yet that my fish didn't LOVE! They are smart creatures and know the difference between a yucky, hard, sharp-edged plastic plant and a live one they can snuggle into or lie on top of!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom