Just got two. Do they eat algae off of plants/decorations?

Discussion in 'Otocinclus' started by lcorona, Mar 22, 2010.

1. l

lcorona New Member Member

I just got two ottos, acclimated them, and added them. They seem perfectly fine right now, in fact I think their colors darkened quite a bit since I got them. One of them is sucking on the glass, the other on one of my small tubes. (The tubes create bubbles) The other fish barely notice them. (Good sign, hopefully no one gets stressed) So will they eat algae off of my plants because there is a lot of algae there. :;thx

2. r

ray_sj Valued Member Member

Yep, they will eat the algae off everything! The three otos I put in my 29 gal completely devoured all the algae in just a few days.

3. OP
    OP
    l

lcorona New Member Member

Yeah, I noticed a huge difference on the outside of my filter intake. (the tube part) There used to be a ton of brown algae there and now most of it is gone.

4. bassbonediva

bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

They LOVE diatoms (brown algae). I put two in my Hex5 with my male feathertail betta and within a day or two all the diatoms were gone. They are great for planted tanks because they will clean the algae off the plants without hurting the plants.

Just be careful and keep an eye on them. Some of them are hardy, but since they are all wild-caught (using cyanide), every once in a while you get a few that don't make it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice