Just got some!

Discussion in 'Parrot Cichlid' started by fullarmor2, Jan 4, 2013.

1. fullarmor2New MemberMember

Well my freshwater 60 gal has been running for about seven weeks and I just got cycled a couple days ago. While I was waiting for the cycle I decided that I was going to get either Parrots or Angels, not both. I got six small Parrot fish(about two and a half inches each).Their not babies either at two inches. Nothing else will be in the tank, as I'm easily at this tank's capacity. However I do have excellent filtration and circulation. I'm using an Emperor and a C-4 so the tank is at the optimal circulation rate of ten times the tanks gallon capacity per hour. Anyway, I was VERY surprised. They didn't stay hidden very long, just a few minutes and then they would all swim together and explore. Although they kept returning to the same hiding place for a bit. I think that since I got six of em, this is the reason they are coming out and swimming all over together. This is all in the first three hours, at which point I fed them for the first time and WOW! These little guys put on one heck of a display! I love em already. The only thing is, I read a few disconcerting things regarding how Parrots are bred and also colored. At your LFS store you can't be sure what exactly your getting. But now that I got these I stopped worrying about that cause these six that I have seem very healthy. Three are light orange and three are light blue. My FST told me that they will all be red later on. They sold them to me as Blood Red Parrots.

2. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning,

Congrats on the new Bloody Parrots. I'm glad to hear that they are doing well.

My experience with dyed Bloody Parrots has been that they did not live as long as the Bloody Parrots that were not dyed. However, they lived for close to 8 to 10 years or so. I purchased dyed Bloody Parrots prior to my joining Fish Lore. If you can avoid it in the future, I would suggest not buying dyed ones. You still should have a good many years with the fish.

My eldest Bloody Parrots are going on 14 years old and 10" x 8". :) Video in my profile.

Yes, they will lose the blue coloring and turn orange after a few months.

Don't be surprised that they may need a larger tank after a few years. My largest one is currently 10" x 8". Although I have several of the same age, they are not all the same size, so don't panic right now. lol :)

For 6 Bloody Parrots, fully grown, I would suggest at least 125g's. These fish are large waste producers.

Some tips:

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/parrot-cichlid/116200-parrot-fish-advice.html#post1268957

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/aquarist48/131987-video-bloody-parrots-11-14-12-a.html

starhanging.gif If you would be so kind, please complete your Aquarium Profile Information. This information will aid others with any responses they may have to future questions.

To access the Profile, click on Forum Actions in the bar close to the top of the screen. In the drop down box, click on Edit Profile. Be sure to hit SAVE when you are done.

Best wishes for your tank and fish. If you can share some photos or videos of your tank and fish, we'd love to see them.

Keep us posted.

Ken

3. OP
    OP
    f

fullarmor2New MemberMember

Thanks, and I do plan on moving a few of these out later on as you mentioned. Until then they will be very content together. I'm glad I got six for now cause I can tell that they feed off of each other's confidence and what not, and so they are acclimating much faster.
    By the way, did you notice any behavioral differences or side affects between your colored ones and the uncolored ones ?

4. Aquarist

Good afternoon,

No, I didn't see any behavioral differences between the dyed ones and the non dyed ones. They were all pals. :)

Ken

5. OP
    OP
    f

fullarmor2New MemberMember

Good I'm glad to hear that. Mine seem fine to me. Very active. Their swimming all over the tank already, especially around feeding time. Their eating really well also. So I'm pleased. Here ar 009.jpg017.jpg022.jpg045.jpg e a couple pics.

6. Aquarist

Awwww, cute! Thanks for sharing the photos of your new babies. :)

Tank looks great too!

Ken

7. Magoo

MagooFishlore VIPMember

They are little cuties :)

8. AlanGreeneWell Known MemberMember

Looks great! Parrots are quite rare over here so I enjoy looking at them!

9. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

I just wanted to point something out. Circulation is just part of filtration. More important than how many times an hour the water is turned over, is volume of media. After all, that's where the bacteria lives. The more you have, the more bacteria can live on it and more ammonia can be processed in one pass through the filter. I don't mean to rain on your parade, but your filtration is not as good as you think it is. The high turnover rate for HOBs is to make up for the lack of media they hold. The faster the water is turned over, the lower the concentration of ammonia, which is what the HOB needs. Canisters don't need as high a turnover rate because they hold a significantly greater amount of media. Since you have high waste producing fish, you really ought to consider switching to either a 1 or 2 canister system.

10. AlanGreeneWell Known MemberMember

Very informative!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice