Just got some snails Question 

redsoxfan320

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I bought them at Petco. They were called mystery snails nut what is their real species. Also what will they eat other that algae and algae wafers.

Thanks

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
do you have a pic? mysteries eat some algae, but nerites are better at it. i feed my snails bottom feeder wafers, they aren't only made from algae.....

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Mystery snails are p. bridgesii, they are a form of apple snails. They will grow to be the size of a gold ball and are so interesting to watch! You can feed them squash, fish flakes, sinking pellets, what ever.

They are scavengers and will eat just about any thing, but don't let that fool you. They are huge waste producers and should be caculated when you are adding up your bioload.

The best website about apple snails I have ever found is here:

And I did alot of searching since I did a bio experiment on breeding and growth of p. brigdesii a few years ago. I had about 150 snails over 3 tanks in my living room. It was facinating!!

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
well the growth of my mysteries has been fast! i got 6 baby magentas a couple weeks ago, they've almost doubled in size they are very fun to watch. i like when they decide to "jump" off a plant or decoration and fall to the bottom lol

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads