just got some neons and

1. redlessi Well Known Member Member

I just added 6 neons to my 72 gallon last night and they are so pretty. I took extra long to acclimate them by floating the bag for about a hour and then I started adding water from the tank to the bag every 15 min for the next hour. This morning they are all still there. My question is since they are in the tank with my piggies (guppies and platies) I did not see them get anything to eat this morning. They did not come to the top to eat with the rest of the tank and I did not see them eating on the bottom.

Should I be concerned, will they become aggressive enough during feeding to eventually get something to eat?

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

congrats!!!! I love the neons....my neons dont do the top feeding either..and mine are with the same platies and gupies...but they defiantly warm up as time goes on and still mine eat in the middle

3. redlessi Well Known Member Member

Thanks Shawnie, I will keep an eye on them for a while. Hopefully they will warm up and get a look in at dinner.

4. Tigerfishy Well Known Member Member

Yea, mine are in with guppies but what I do is put some food in the tank about halfway down, the guppies follow it (surprise, surprise) and the tetras go for it or wait for it to fall to the bottom. I use flakes so they are quite good for that.

5. phil saint Member Member

my neons and cardinals are the same and only eat at the mid to bottom of the tank i do exactly the same as tigerfishy and drop the flakes halfway down.

6. TedsTank Well Known Member Member

Once they are nice and comfortable they will get their share of food. Most of the tetras will dart up and grab the food when they want it....fast little buggerrs when they want to be. Give them a little more time. Soon you will notice fat little bellies!!!

7. Jake the Fish Member Member

My Neon's get quite a bit of food even though they are with bigger fish. They Generally eat in the middle of the tank or bottom of the tank.