Just got some gold apple snails...

BettaGammaDelta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
And then realised I know next to nothing about them.

I know that all snails are hermaphroditic, so Ven and Rox will/may eventually make baby snails like the much smaller pond snails seem to do every time I have even a mild ammonia spike. I think I need to feed them on scalded lettuce and zucchini...?

But I don't know - how big they get, what biomass they give off, how long they live, and what aquatic plants they'll eat, and how often they need to be fed. The last isn't to avoid said plants, but to hopefully offer something more natural to an aquatic snail than blatantly land-based plants.

fishingman001

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Apple snails get huge. They also give off a lot of waste. I don't know what plants they will eat...I just know they do eat plants.

My friends has some in his 125 gallon and he feeds the lettuce and other veggies.

Treefork

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Apple Snails are not hermaphrodites so you would actually need a male and female to repoduce. However, that being said, they can store sperm until ideal conditions for egg laying are found, so even if you had two females one could still potentially lay fertilized eggs. If you have to males however, well you're out of luck.

Mine eat fish food, algae wafers, blood worms, pretty much whatever you give them. They've left my plants pretty well alone.

Rhan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
+1 treefork.

if you search for our member 'rainman', I think he still has a diagram of how to sex apple snails in his signature

Mine loooooves cucumber and zuicchini As well as pretty much all the fishfood I own. They don't seem to be fussy eaters.

BunnyPuncher

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I only have one and he/she is a hoot to watch.

I have yet to find anything it will not eat - spinach, mango, soy beans, strawberries, algae wafers, bloodworms, hair algae, green algae, sinking wafers, kale, the fins off of a dead cory cat that died overnight.

Spinach & mangos seem to be the "devour upon sensing" food. With the fruits n' veggies I just use frozen and microwave them soft in water. Remember to take out what they don't eat in a few hours (or next morning).

Very dirty. Get used to poop. Mine really prefers not having to deal with the company of fish.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

Here are a few links concerning snails that you may find helpful. I also recommend that you add egg shells to the tank for added calcium to keep the snail shell good and strong. It will help to prevent the shells from becoming brittle.

Also keep your pH level above 7.0. Anything below 7.0 is too acidic and will cause the snail shell to erode over time.

Mine also love Zucchini. I just slice it, weight it down and place it in the tank. This is also high in calcium and great for your snails.
https://www.applesnail.net/content/care.php

https://www.applesnail.net/content/faq.php

We love photos!

Ken

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads