Just got otos! Any tips/info?

Mii

Active Member
Member
Messages
336
Reaction score
201
Location
Earth
Experience
1 year
Just got 3 otos from my lfs! Thought I'd post some pice (even though pretty much everyone already knows what otos look like) because i think they're cute. I've read the basic care guides but was wondering if people have any tips as I've heard they're kind of hard to keep. Or just random facts about otos as I'm always happy to learn about my fish! They come out in the open plenty, but if they want to they're really good at hiding, mine just disappeared when i first put them in, but i found them again once they got a bit more comfortable in their new environment. Look healthy to me, but I'm no oto expert. Also nice and active
IMG_20200807_233708639_BURST001.jpg
IMG_20200807_233523100.jpg


They also seem happy to much on my algae which is good. Diatoms can DIE-atoms
 

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
20,570
Reaction score
14,815
Location
Holland (The Netherlands)
Experience
More than 10 years
Is there algae in the tank. Looks quite clean. The need / like a bit of protein as well. Mine love to feed on crumbled flakes or shrimppelet, freeze dried brineshrimp, etc..... scavaging it from the leaves.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
Mii

Mii

Active Member
Member
Messages
336
Reaction score
201
Location
Earth
Experience
1 year
DoubleDutch said:
Is there algae in the tank. Looks quite clean. The need / like a bit of protein as well. Mine love to feed on crumbled flakes or shrimppelet, freeze dried brineshrimp, etc..... scavaging it from the leaves.
Do they like bloodworms? I have some of those if they need protein. Also yes there is plenty of algae i just tried to avoid it in the photos because it's not the prettiest stuff in the world. Do they eat diatom algae (brown algae) or just regular algae?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5
OP
Mii

Mii

Active Member
Member
Messages
336
Reaction score
201
Location
Earth
Experience
1 year
DoubleDutch said:
They eat brown algae also.
If there is enpugh of those only feed protein now and then. Mine eat bloodworms (frozen) as well.
Thanks. Healthy otos should have just a slightly rounded belly right?
 

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,151
Reaction score
2,589
Location
Leeds, Yorkshire, England.
Experience
More than 10 years
My advice regarding Ottocinclus spp. is "Be Lucky".

They are the only fish I've found to be unreliable. But I wasn't really prepared for my ten as they were suddenly given to me when my brother went for a job in Singapore.

However, I did have one of my batch live for an incredible length of time. My brother returned from Singapore and was amazed to see I still had one of them thirteen years later.

I like them so I may have a matured species tank just for them one day.
 

MacZ

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,682
Reaction score
3,709
Location
Europe
Experience
More than 10 years
Redshark1 said:
My advice regarding Ottocinclus spp. is "Be Lucky".
And mine is: Don't get too attached.
Maybe after 6 months, but until then any of them can drop dead at any time.
And important, with most diseases they might have: Usually only ich and intestinal parasites can be treated. Many other diseases fail to show the usual signs in Otos in time to identify before it's too late.

I would also make sure they get enough veggies. So although they also like bloodworms, make sure the diet is high percent vegetarian. Offer them veggies 24/7.

Also, keep the nitrates extra low. And don't do to much work inside the tank.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9
OP
Mii

Mii

Active Member
Member
Messages
336
Reaction score
201
Location
Earth
Experience
1 year
MacZ said:
And mine is: Don't get too attached.
Maybe after 6 months, but until then any of them can drop dead at any time.
And important, with most diseases they might have: Usually only ich and intestinal parasites can be treated. Many other diseases fail to show the usual signs in Otos in time to identify before it's too late.

I would also make sure they get enough veggies. So although they also like bloodworms, make sure the diet is high percent vegetarian. Offer them veggies 24/7.

Also, keep the nitrates extra low. And don't do to much work inside the tank.
Plants should help with low nitrates, just ordered a better light i am currently in the process of building a jungle
 

jake37

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,075
Reaction score
2,837
Location
Under the Rainbow
Experience
Just started
I would give them some zuc - i frequently get 5 to 7 on a piece at a time. People say they are unreliable but sadly when i thought some had died i got more and none had died and none of hte new one died so now i have like 11 or more in my 40B and they love the their zuc. Sadly they are not all the same type and some are different than others because they are different types and it is too difficult to figure out what various types of otto i have. Otto comes in many different flavors because there are many different types.
-
My tip is they like raw zuc.
-
Oops - i forgot to mention i have one weird one that likes to skim the surface when i feed flakes to the guppies because he really like flakes but the others like zuc. He skims it by going upside down with his mouth up sucking in the flakes.
--
Oh i should have mentioned there are males and females. The females get really large bellies.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #11
OP
Mii

Mii

Active Member
Member
Messages
336
Reaction score
201
Location
Earth
Experience
1 year
jake37 said:
I would give them some zuc - i frequently get 5 to 7 on a piece at a time. People say they are unreliable but sadly when i thought some had died i got more and none had died and none of hte new one died so now i have like 11 or more in my 40B and they love the their zuc. Sadly they are not all the same type and some are different than others because they are different types and it is too difficult to figure out what various types of otto i have. Otto comes in many different flavors because there are many different types.
-
My tip is they like raw zuc.
-
Oops - i forgot to mention i have one weird one that likes to skim the surface when i feed flakes to the guppies because he really like flakes but the others like zuc.
So you don't blanch it?
 

jake37

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,075
Reaction score
2,837
Location
Under the Rainbow
Experience
Just started
Nope. I stick one of those metal plants weights in it - drop it in the tank - and then either remove it the next day or 2 days later depending on if they are still eating it. Sometime they eat fast and sometime slow. Also sometime the lemon bn and mystery snails help them (the lemon bn is only like an inch long -i thin it might be a runt or very slow growing female but the mystery snail is really large. It used to be an egg but then it ate too much and now it is like 3/4 an inch big but much bigger than the lemon bn).

Mii said:
So you don't blanch it?
 

MacZ

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,682
Reaction score
3,709
Location
Europe
Experience
More than 10 years
Mii said:
Plants should help with low nitrates, just ordered a better light i am currently in the process of building a jungle
Still, waterchanges are key for them.
 

itsEmma

Active Member
Member
Messages
355
Reaction score
240
Location
London
Hi,
I feed mine a mix of powders every day,
20200610_112747.jpg
Only a little pinch of each, mixed with some tank water and 'shot' onto the leaves/surfaces in the tank with a turkey baster. They go absolutely crazy for it!
I personally turn the filter off for a few minutes to give the mix time to fully settle and not end up clogging the the filter.
Mine never really took to the Repashy made up in gel form, although I believe some love it like that, especially smeared onto a rock.
Hope this helps!
Emma
 

jake37

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,075
Reaction score
2,837
Location
Under the Rainbow
Experience
Just started
Yea I feed one soilent green as a gel - the bn love that but i haven't noticed clumps of the ottos on it like the zuc.
itsEmma said:
Hi,
I feed mine a mix of powders every day,
20200610_112747.jpg
Only a little pinch of each, mixed with some tank water and 'shot' onto the leaves/surfaces in the tank with a turkey baster. They go absolutely crazy for it!
I personally turn the filter off for a few minutes to give the mix time to fully settle and not end up clogging the the filter.
Mine never really took to the Repashy made up in gel form, although I believe some love it like that, especially smeared onto a rock.
Hope this helps!
Emma
 

DesertFishman

New Member
Member
Messages
14
Reaction score
6
Location
Las Vegas
Experience
5 to 10 years
I feed mine some sinking alge wafers along with cucumber and rapashi solient green. But the alge wafers are great for after you clean the tank. So you can have clear glass/acrylic but still food for them
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #18
OP
Mii

Mii

Active Member
Member
Messages
336
Reaction score
201
Location
Earth
Experience
1 year
DesertFishman said:
I feed mine some sinking alge wafers along with cucumber and rapashi solient green. But the alge wafers are great for after you clean the tank. So you can have clear glass/acrylic but still food for them
My intention when i bought the otos was that i wouldn't have to scrub the glass I'd just have to do water changes and vacuum up any fish poop. I bought them because i thought they where the cutest algae eaters and if there was still algae I'd get snails to help out as well.
 

DesertFishman

New Member
Member
Messages
14
Reaction score
6
Location
Las Vegas
Experience
5 to 10 years
They are awsome alge eaters. Fun to watch as they dart all over, but your still going to have to clean the tank now and then. So if you want clean glass and happy otos alge wafers are great they soften fast and can be used as an alternative food source.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #20
OP
Mii

Mii

Active Member
Member
Messages
336
Reaction score
201
Location
Earth
Experience
1 year
DesertFishman said:
They are awsome alge eaters. Fun to watch as they dart all over, but your still going to have to clean the tank now and then. So if you want clean glass and happy otos alge wafers are great they soften fast and can be used as an alternative food source.
I have some algae wafers just heard otos are picky and may not eat them.
 

DesertFishman

New Member
Member
Messages
14
Reaction score
6
Location
Las Vegas
Experience
5 to 10 years
Mine love them but like most fish you can say hey mine love them but yours might hate it. I've had so many conflicting experiences keeping fish that I just say what works for me and if people say your crazy or no your wrong I just say I'm no expert it's just what worked for me and keep going lol.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #22
OP
Mii

Mii

Active Member
Member
Messages
336
Reaction score
201
Location
Earth
Experience
1 year
DesertFishman said:
Mine love them but like most fish you can say hey mine love them but yours might hate it. I've had so many conflicting experiences keeping fish that I just say what works for me and if people say your crazy or no your wrong I just say I'm no expert it's just what worked for me and keep going lol.
Yeah what works varies from fish to fish. Like i have a mixed school of corys and they all school fine but apparently some people say theirs only school with the same kind of cory.
 

jake37

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,075
Reaction score
2,837
Location
Under the Rainbow
Experience
Just started
I have guppies and never have to clean the glass. Guppies solve all problems.

Mii said:
My intention when i bought the otos was that i wouldn't have to scrub the glass I'd just have to do water changes and vacuum up any fish poop. I bought them because i thought they where the cutest algae eaters and if there was still algae I'd get snails to help out as well.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
210
Guests online
3,268
Total visitors
3,478

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom