Just Got My First Kuhli Loach

Roxane0470

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So after a year of having my 20 high gallon, and searching forever I found my first kuhli loach. He's mostly been hiding so far. Any suggestions? I know he needs a more buddies, but the Petsmart I got him at only had 1.

I also usually don't buy at Petsmart but that's the only place I found one at.

Attachments

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
@Roxane0470 :emoji_thumbsup:
Picked up 3 Yoyos a few weeks ago. Mine were very shy at first in the QT. Now they are out and about. They devour the smaller pest snails. Here is a pic:
RG8YZmS.jpg

Aqua Hands

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Roxane0470 said:
Thanks guys hopefully kuhli loaches will help with my trumpet snails.
Actually I believe they are one of few loaches that won't kill snails.

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yep, my kuhlis don't bother with snails so don't count on yours going after them either. Sometimes they will, sometimes they won't.

Search for more kuhlis, they must be kept in groups, the bigger the better. I'd say at least 6+ as they are far more active and comfortable in groups. They will hide most of the time if there is not enough ground cover for them. My kuhlis are in a tank filled to the brim with plants plus some oak leaves and DIY ceramic caves/logs for them to hide in, which they do quite often.

I'd like to make a note of the substrate. I can't see too well what kind you have, but they should be on sand or at the very least smooth round pebbles. They are soft skinned fish and easily get scratched when wiggling over coarse substrate. Plus it is in their nature to shove their face in sand and sift it through their gills in search of food, much like corydoras.

Roxane0470

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Demeter said:
Yep, my kuhlis don't bother with snails so don't count on yours going after them either. Sometimes they will, sometimes they won't.

Search for more kuhlis, they must be kept in groups, the bigger the better. I'd say at least 6+ as they are far more active and comfortable in groups. They will hide most of the time if there is not enough ground cover for them. My kuhlis are in a tank filled to the brim with plants plus some oak leaves and DIY ceramic caves/logs for them to hide in, which they do quite often.

I'd like to make a note of the substrate. I can't see too well what kind you have, but they should be on sand or at the very least smooth round pebbles. They are soft skinned fish and easily get scratched when wiggling over coarse substrate. Plus it is in their nature to shove their face in sand and sift it through their gills in search of food, much like corydoras.
I'm definitely getting more. Just the point in finding them.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom