Just Got An Azoo Mignon 60 For My 2.7 Betta's Tank

1. AGhostandHerBetta Initiate Member

Hi,

I'm trying to advance my knowledge about keeping a betta fish. I have gone without a filter since I got my betta in August 2016. I've been getting by on just doing (mostly just partial) water changes every 2-3 days per week, and adding conditioners, removing uneaten food/waste, and overall monitoring my betta. I have been reading about how filters are pretty much a necessity for a betta fish, so I broke down and started researching filters for a good compact sized one for my 2.7 gallon, and found the azoo palm filter, ordered it, and now I have it.

However, I am not sure how exactly to go about installation in his tank? The instructions are short and don't say much. He already is in there and was wondering if I can just place it into the tank. I am not really looking to keep buying more accessories for his tank (financial reasons mainly) and so hoping everything that comes with this filter will hold up until I can get something supposedly better.

If you have any expertise on the installation of a filter in an already inhabited betta tank, please let me know. I would like to get this done asap so he can have cleaner water and I can perform less frequent water changes.

Thanks alot!

2. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Yep, you can just place it in the tank! You'll need to continue with your large and frequent water changes until the tank is fully cycled.

Don't replace the filter media. Just rinse it in old tank water and put it back in the filter.

3. scarface Well Known Member Member

I have both the 60 and 150. The instructions are pretty simple and straighforward. Just make sure to prime it with water, like it says to do. Not sure what else to say. I think you're thinking too hard on this :).

4. AGhostandHerBetta Initiate Member

Hi, thank you! I wouldn't have thought to do this.

Thanks, it is pretty simple, which I want. And yes my overthinking is making it seem more complicated!

Appreciate the help! =)

5. tommywantfishy Well Known Member Member

Good filter. Add your own media.....reduce flow way back to like 40%

Basically a mini aquaclear. Nice choice.
    Running in my 5g fluval chi

6. AGhostandHerBetta Initiate Member

Hi,

this is the installation aftermath of my filter. Does it look ok to you?

BTW, apologies about the poor lighting if I turn my phone light on it creates a reflection in the tank and you can't see much.

but hopefully this video is clear enough..

I don't have any other media to put in it, I'm only using the two sponges that came with it so far.

Thanks a million!

here is a link to the video..I couldn't figure out any other ways to post it:

iCloud - Loading …

7. AGhostandHerBetta Initiate Member

Hi TexasDomer,

How long until the tank is fully cycled? I have tried look it up but answers vary between 48 hours and 3 or so weeks?
    I have now switched from aquasafe to using prime whenever I add new water so I'm assuming this might help speed up the process or otherwise just keep the water toxins neutral until the tank is fully cycled?

I hate having to ask so many questions after nearly a year of having a betta =/

8. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

It usually will take much longer than a few days. A few weeks to a few months is normal. You can add a bacterial additive, like Tetra Safe Start Plus or Seachem Stability, and that will help to speed it up.

9. AGhostandHerBetta Initiate Member

Thank you.

I am pretty self-confident now that I understand this cycling process enough to be successful with it. I am also testing my water every other day with the API master test kit, and doing every test.