Just got a turquoise rainbow fish ..have a few questions

Discussion in 'Rainbowfish' started by akboor, Apr 7, 2010.

1. a

akboor New Member Member

:;fb HI all!

I just got a turquoise rainbow today. He doesn't have alot of color, but his tail definatly has some blue in it.. I was just curious how long it takes for them to color up. The owner of the fish store I got him at had one in his personal tank and it was SO beautiful!! Mine is probably an inch and a half long.. Is there anything I can do to have him color up faster? Also, the guy who was helping me at the store said they like to be in schools but wasn't necessary to have them in schools. Does it affect their health at all if they arent in schools? Thanks :)

2. Jeffcameron

Jeffcameron Valued Member Member

Hi there, keeping good water conditions and the fish stress free will help bring their colour out. Like many other fish as they mature their colours will also change. It's also a good idea to supply a varied diet to optimise colour.

They are definitely schooling fish so would be more comfortable in a group of at least 4.

3. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Rainbows like to school so much that theyll try swimming with the other fish in the tank if there arent enough of them. the other fish dont always appreciate this.

4. OP
    OP
    a

akboor New Member Member

well i went back yesterday and got 2 more turqoise rainbows !!

5. pepetj

pepetj Well Known Member Member

Keeping Rainbowfish requires some waiting time. It will worth it once you get there. They don't say much as juveniles but wait for a year of so down the road and you will be amazed by the flashing of intense yellow at the forehead. Hope you can get at least six or seven of them.

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo

6. JustinF

JustinF Valued Member Member

I've found with my rainbows that I've had for a couple of months have changed color a lot. I think one thing that helps to intensify there color is having black moonsand gravel. I saw the difference in my LFS when they changed the brown gravel to black and boy did their color change even though they where still small.

7. k

kloseo Well Known Member Member

your rainbow is a little small right now and colors up more as they grow, also give them time to settle in to their new home. I have 4 turquoise and 2 red, they took a while to start showing their colors once i got them but now they :;bananaslideput on quiet a show, they darken up when the lights go out and can turn almost black at times at other times can lighten to a light yellow and green and when mating have an organge line that goes down their back

8. j

jeca Valued Member Member

Quick question...how big do these turquoise rainbows get. 4in? +/-

9. bonehead

bonehead New Member Member

Anyone interested in rainbowfish should check out this ebook by Adrian Tappin. Tons of info on all the rainbowfish species.

10. NMfishman

NMfishman Well Known Member Member

yes about 4 inches. They should start to put on good color in 6 months and in a year will be about full size and have absolutely amazing colors! The good thing about turquoise is that they color up faster than most rainbows.

11. K

KayMay08 New Member Member

Hi, there! He is still pretty little for a rainbowfish. He will grow into his color. I feed my fish only frozen food and their colors are fabulous. I used to feed them flake food too and after I quit flake food, I noticed their colors got brighter. This is a schooling fish, so I don't know how it will do alone. It may stress it out. Have fun with your rainbow, rainbowfish add a lot of color and they are very active.

12. k

kloseo Well Known Member Member

spirillium flake food enhances coloring, if you dont want to use only frozen food, however some frozen food especially emerald entree already has the spirillium in it

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice