Just Got A New 10 Gallon Tank With Two Mollies And I Think One Has Bloated Blatter

Fia

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I just got my new fish tank two weeks ago and it is a 10 gallon. I have had not have fish for awhile and I have never had to deal with sick fish. And I haven't gotten PH tester yet but in the next couple of days I will be getting that

So about 2 days ago I noticed my Dalmation Molly was swimming weird, her head was always at a slight angle and kinda drifting around the take and when she kinda rest she tips and floats up. Nut she seems to not be in much stress and can eat, but sometimes the fish lookes frustrated when it can't keep up with its take mate (Golden Panda Molly) who is very active and healthy. The Dalmation Molly loved to just follow it around and now it can't and it's breaking my heart.

My main hope and guess is that it's constapation because her poop is kinda clear and thin not like it's tank mate (tiger lily) who pooped every day multiple times and has healthy looking poop. So it doesn't lead me to think the water is unhealthy because tiger lily is very happy and active. So at the moment I'm doing the 3 day fast then a pea and then after I will do a salt bath and if that doesn't work I will try something else and if nothing works I will just let it live out its life and hope it gets better.

If any solutions please let me know. I will try to upload a pick or video

Here is a video, is he usually more active, but it's night time so he has calmed down

fjh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Did you cycle the tank before adding the mollies? I know you dont have a ph tester yet. But could you post your other parameters?

Tbh your dalmations doesnt look bloated at all. If you think its constipation, feed a blanched, deshelled pea. Just mush it up a bit and drop it in. However, slear poop is often and indication of internal parasites. Thankfully ive neber had to expecience this, so hopefully skmeone with firsthand knowledge can.

Fia

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thank you, for your advice! But I'm looking at her now she lookes likes she's shaking but I have no idea if that's what it looks like because I have had fish to other times and I have never had to deal with this.

I didn't cycle tank, because my mom got me the tank for my birthday and was not able to get the tank a month in hand, but I did do my research about the fish.

I'm hoping that's just the way she swims because I was reading up on weird swimming habits and some people were saying that's just how there fish swims and they seem perfectly happy

fjh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Fia said:
Thank you, for your advice! But I'm looking at her now she lookes likes she's shaking but I have no idea if that's what it looks like because I have had fish to other times and I have never had to deal with this.

I didn't cycle tank, because my mom got me the tank for my birthday and was not able to get the tank a month in hand, but I did do my research about the fish.

I'm hoping that's just the way she swims because I was reading up on weird swimming habits and some people were saying that's just how there fish swims and they seem perfectly happy
Well the way she is swimming is not normal. The only "happy" fish that ive seen swim like that were botn with a defect, like a bent spine.

What are your parameters? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, temp, etc? Since you didnt cycle the tank or use bacterial supplements, i have to assume the amminia is high and most likely poisoning the fish. First thing id do is read how to do a fish in cycle, and do some water changes to lower your parameters.

Fia

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I will look into it thank you, I also had notice before she started swimming weird that her spine was bent like you said I thought she maybe had some kind of defect or I had read scoliosis if that's possible in fish

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom