10 Gallon Tank Just got a heater.

insanedreams77
I have a heater that doesn't go under the water. I forget what it is called. I got it at a local pet store it was in my price range. It slides on a the lip of the tank and it is a see though class thingy. I am sorry if I aint good at explaining. I just want to make sure I am doing the right thing at keeping at 76 degrees.

Also with this heater is says to unplug it when changing the water. Is that ok to do and won't mess with the water balance I have.

Junne
Do you know what brand it is? Most heaters these days are mostly submersible -
And yes, you risk it shattering or exploding if you turn the heater on without it being in water so make sure you unplug when you are doing a water change. It will not do anything with your water balance.

Its always good practice to do it anyway with your filter and heater.
I have both heater and filter on a power strip and I just turn the entire thing off when I am doing a water change.

insanedreams77
I got it at a local pet store. I can't remember what it is called right now but it was in my price range. I was thinking of getting a submersible in the future but when I have the money. So it is a good idea to turn everything off when doing a water change? Now I was told to not do a full water change is that a good idea or what?

jwebbe said:
Do you know what brand it is? Most heaters these days are mostly submersible -
And yes, you risk it shattering or exploding if you turn the heater on without it being in water so make sure you unplug when you are doing a water change. It will not do anything with your water balance.

Its always good practice to do it anyway with your filter and heater.
I have both heater and filter on a power strip and I just turn the entire thing off when I am doing a water change.
thank you. now I don't remember what it is called but I got it a a local pet store. it was in my price range. I posted more under before this

escapay
insanedreams77 said:
I got it at a local pet store. I can't remember what it is called right now but it was in my price range. I was thinking of getting a submersible in the future but when I have the money. So it is a good idea to turn everything off when doing a water change? Now I was told to not do a full water change is that a good idea or what?
From the sounds of the heater, it isn't a submersible one. The ones that are hanging on the back should be kept that way. Make sure the water stays above the minimum water level. Often the heater will have the name of the brand, even if it is from a local pet store.

I also turn off my heaters when I do a water change. I don't want any explosions or other issues with the heater not being able to operate normally because the water is lower. Plus if the heater malfunctions, I do not want to get shocked.

Meeps83
You don't have to do a full water change. I usually change 50% once/week and 25% once/week on my main tank, so 2 wc's per week.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom