Just Got A 37 Gallon Tank. What Do I Put In It? Help

1. KaitlynR

KaitlynR Well Known Member Member

I've never owned a tank this big. I am literally in awe.

Because of this I am completely clueless. I only know my nanofish. chili rasboras, least killifish, pea puffers... these are the species I know. But I want to do something totally different with this tank!! I think...

The idea of 20+ chili rasboras for this giant tank is seriously tempting. Lol.

The tank is not up and running yet, as I just got it today as a gift (thanks babe). I had to order a stand for it because nothing in my house is strong enough to support it. So while I wait for that to come in, I wanted to get ideas on species.

I will be moving my 6 kuhli loaches to the 37 gallon tank. Or I think anyways. I don't necessarily need to..... Oh goodness. I'm just completely at a loss right now.

What are your favorite species for a tank of this size?

I should mention the tank is taller than it is longer. 30 in L x 12 in W x 22 in H are the measurements. What are some good schooling fish or pairs that could work for the upper level of the tank? Any other species you might suggest? I think it would be cool to do one of the three ideas:

1) A pair of fish, A mid swim level school, and my kuhlis/something else on the bottom.

2) Just some giant schools of nanofish

3) Only a couple of large, oddball/rare species.

Thoughts? :)

2. Seasoldier

Seasoldier Well Known Member Member

I think any big schools of smaller fish look really good in a well scaped & planted tank, in a previous tank I had a big school of ember tetras & in my current one I have two large groups of Daisy's Rice fish & Glowlight Danios.

3. OP
    OP
    KaitlynR

the daisy's rice fish are pretty but they almost look like their spine is curved? is that normal?

glowlight danios are so pretty!!

Do you know of any fish that will occupy the top half of the tank? it really is a super tall tank and i don't want it to go unused.

4. RainBetta

RainBetta Well Known Member Member

Angelfish are nice! So is a female betta sorority. Dwarf Gouramis, pearl gouramis, and Blue gouramis would be a good centerpiece for that tank size. Here's a few stock ideas:

Stock 1:
    x1 Angelfish
    x12 rummynose Tetras
    x6 kuhli loaches
    x3 platies
    x3 guppies

Stock 2:
    x1 Pearl Gourami
    x15 Harlequin Rasboras
    x6 Albino Cories
    x2 Bolivian Rams

Stock 3:
    x1 Dwarf Gourami
    x15 Neon Tetras
    x6 Kuhli Loaches
    x3 swordtails

5. OP
    OP
    KaitlynR

ohhh thank you for these ideas!! I'll have to admit, I'm not a huge fan of neon tetras... I find them quite boring. Could I replace those with something like a chili rasbora?

i should mention I really did consider doing a female betta sorority, but have no idea how many i could put in there! any ideas?

6. RainBetta

Definitely! Rummynose Tetras are very nice right schoolers. You could have like 7-8 Rummynose and 7-8 Chili rasboras and a Dwarf Gourami and all that red looks wonderful!

7. OP
    OP
    KaitlynR

You know, I never really looked into swordfish all that much, and I don't hear about people really keeping them. But they are so beautiful!!!

8. david1978

david1978 Fishlore VIP Member

10-15 female bettas i would think. The number would depend on how big of a school or if you want a school of fish with them. I have glowlight tetras with mine but they are just kind of there and not real active.

9. RainBetta

You can do up to 12 in that tank size. I would do about 9 though

10. OP
    OP
    KaitlynR

I would make it only the female bettas in there and nothing else!

Good to know, thank you!!

11. david1978

I have had male swordtails in some of my setups over the years. Their pretty peaceful and rather resiliant fish. They come in a lot of different colors.

12. RainBetta

Yeah! They are! I've had them very little but they are very nice!

13. OP
    OP
    KaitlynR

@RainBetta , thoughts on indian glassfish? I find them so so beautiful!! Not the dyed ones of course. just the natural ones.

Good to know! Thank you! Do they school or not really?

14. david1978

They dont really school. They just seem to do their own thing weather there is 1 or many.

15. RainBetta

Yeah! They would kind of limit what you could get though because they get stressed when in with larger fish like Dwarf gouramis or angels. They are carnivores so you could get 10 of them and then 6 or so guppies (2 males, 4 females) and they could eat the fry. Glass catfish look similar, and do wonderful with angelfish.

16. OP
    OP
    KaitlynR

Okay, thanks!! Will I need to worry about breeding at all?

omg. Glass catfish. I never would have even thought. I HAVE SO MANY OPTIONS!

This is so overwhelming but I really do love it so much. I think I'll pass on the indian glassfish just because I'd hate to get them just for them to be stressed out. But the glass catfish with angelfish would be neat!!

17. david1978

They are live bearers so if you have both male and female together then yes they can and will breed. The males have the sword tail were females dont and after i had guppies i decided to have only males so they wouldn't over take the tank.

18. OP
    OP
    KaitlynR

@RainBetta Do you know anything in regards to Rainbowfish or Killifish? Thoughts on Peacock Gudgeons?

So many options... my brain is overloaded with the possibilities.

Oh i didnt realize they were livebearers, too! my bad.

19. RainBetta

Not quite sure about Rainbowfish or Killifish (though threadfins rainbows are very pretty), but peacock Gudgeons are perfect for that tank size! Apistogrammas are nice. Cockatoo chiclids and other dwarf chiclids would be good. Also consider what is available to you! Some fish stores are limited in availability :(

20. david1978

Haha. Yea lots of options. I guess the best place to start is figuring out the one fish you really want and then stock around that.