Just got 9 new fish!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by ilovemynewfish, Dec 6, 2012.

1. ilovemynewfish

ilovemynewfishNew MemberMember

Hi everyone!
    My boyfriend's friend has moved away and left me his fish. I was happy to take them, but want to make sure everything is going okay. First of all, it is a 35-40 gallon tank, and there is 9 fish. From my research (not 100% sure) it has 4 neon tetras, one siamese algae eater, and 4 barbs. Now, they weren't well taken care of but are still alive. We had to empty most of the the tank in order to move it. We are slowly filling it up, allowing the filter to filter the water as we go. There is a heater and an electric filter. I tested for nitrites, got 0, my pH is 7.0, and the ammonia test came slightly past zero. I added a few drops of the chemical that treats ammonia. I also added stress coat (following directions on bottle) because of the chlorine and etc in tap water. They seemed to be doing okay at first, but now one of the tetras is swimming frantically up and down the side of the tank. He didn't have the neon streak when I got him, he was mostly pale white, now he is becoming reddish/orange. The rest of the tetras seem to be doing okay. (I have heard tetras can't handle stress well, is this the case?) Just wanted some opinions on how I'm doing and to figure out what is wrong with my poor tetra. Also, should I change the rocks? Full of black gunk and old fish bones and skulls. Thanks!!

2. Lucy

LucyModeratorModerator Member

Welcome to FishLore!!

Not much you can do for the neon except keep an eye on it.
    Could be stress.

If you like the rocks keep them but do a thorough vacuum. It sounds nasty.
    Bones, skulls and black gunk...yuck!
    I wonder if it's even salvageable.

Keep an eye on the parameters in the next few days/week.

Good luck.

3. OP
    OP
    ilovemynewfish

Thanks for replying! I have another set of rocks that was given to me as well. I would like to keep both. After I change them, I guess I could rinse them and make sure it's just rocks. Should I wait a while before changing the rocks? I don't want to put them in any more stress right now.

4. l0ngshad0w_New MemberMember

there's a good chance the black gunk is causing the stress. it's usually in their best interest to do a vacuum/water change to increase their water quality. congrats on the inherited fish!

5. Ziggi

ZiggiWell Known MemberMember

I'd do very frequent water changes (daily to every other day 25-45%) if you think they've been living for awhile in bad water and keep an eye on your parameters like they've said already. A member recommended Vitachem to me, you may want to try that as well to supplement. I'm sure you'll see a big difference with just fresh water!

If there's plants and other decor in the tank for your fish to hide in then you can use a cup or bowl or something to remove the gravel but I'd remove it only after you've vacuumed it REALLY well though so you don't risk stirring up gunk that the fish would be surrounded by. Another option is to remove the fish and put them in a bucket or something, quickly remove/replace the gravel then put them back. Thats what I did, but I wouldn't do this option until the fish are stable/more "moved-in"

Is this your first tank? If you can, post some pics of the fish if you're still unsure about the IDing.
    Congrats on your inheritance and welcome! :D

6. Terra

TerraWell Known MemberMember

Did your bf's friend do any water changes? It's possible the fish are in some sort of shock because they're used to really really high nitrates/low ph and the drain + move + fresh water dropped the nitrates and raised the ph fast.

If your bf's friend left the dead fish in there to rot and leave bones and skulls behind... then I'm guessing he left the water in there that they decayed in too. Google or search this site for "old tank syndrome" for that.

If it were me and they were still alive and kickin' tomorrow, I'd scoop them all out into a bucket and completely trash that gravel and put fresh stuff in.

7. OP
    OP
    ilovemynewfish

Yeah I've counted one skull and three back bones. Thanks, that helps a lot!!!

8. Ziggi

ZiggiWell Known MemberMember

Yum ;:barf

9. Ethan

EthanWell Known MemberMember

fish bones would be a pretty cool decoration... like a baby shark skull or something...

10. Ava

AvaValued MemberMember

Welcome to the Obsession:) Congrats on your inheritance! (Oh, to be so lucky...)

I'm with everybody else here. I'd move them out temporarily and give that tank a thorough cleaning (vac and remove as much crud as possible). I'd do new gravel, etc. It sounds like they need a fresh start.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice