Just Got 2 Bettas And Another Fish For Free

THRESHER

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My neighbor, an elderly lady, offered me 2 bettas ( one red, one blue) and a giant Black Moore for free. She had the black moore in a cube like tank which was pretty small, and the bettas each in a gallon type of jar. Along with all the foods, some decorations and a net. She said she was tired of caring for them so she gave them to me.

She said she's had the bettas for about 2 years in these jars with zero issues. They look pretty well taken care of tho. The Black Moore was her daughter's as she had 3 of them, but 2 of them died and she gave the 3rd one to her mother.

I put the Black Moore in my son's 45 gallon tank, which it's extremely happy swimming all about.

The bettas, I don't know about. I have no clue how to care for these, nor do I really want them.
Any idea what I should do with them?

IMG_20180917_153045.jpg

IMG_20180917_153054.jpg

jacob thompson

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Bettas need a 5 gallon filtered tank to truely thrive. Minimum is 2.5 but a 5 gallon is better because they are extremely active fish. They have their own personalities, anyone who has ever owned a betta can vouch for that and they are very entertaining. I say keep them, they are a very fun fish and they can be kept very happy in relatively small tanks.

OP
THRESHER

THRESHER

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Forgot to add she also gave me a 5.5 gallon tank. I'm more into cichlids and larger fish. I really don't want to keep them and prefer to give them away to someone who knows how to take care of them and have them live a full and happy life.

Repolie

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Bettas need a minimum of a 2.5 gallon tank that's heated to 78-82° Fahrenheit and a filtered tank that's cycled. This is just the basics and they're very easy to take care of.

OP
THRESHER

THRESHER

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ladies, gents, I know more or less what bettas require to thrive. What I'm stating is I don't want them. I was asking if there were any ideas on how I can rehome them. Even my son who's 12 doesn't want them, and he's had bettas before.

Repolie

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
You can go re-home them on KijijI or Craigslist depending on where you are, ask family or friends if they want a betta, or you can call a pet store to see if they'll take in the bettas (preferably a private one because they tend to take care of them better than the big chain ones).

OP
THRESHER

THRESHER

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Repolie said:
You can go re-home them on KijijI or Craigslist depending on where you are, ask family or friends if they want a betta, or you can call a pet store to see if they'll take in the bettas (preferably a private one because they tend to take care of them better than the big chain ones).
I'm giving craigslist a shot. Dunno about Kijiji. My lfs doesn't take any fish, which is sad. I had to rehome my EBJ and I had to give him away to the lfs store employee.

midna

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
another option is facebook marketplace. there might be a fish-related forum or facebook group for your state/metroplex you can also try.

OP
THRESHER

THRESHER

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
BettagoSplenda said:
give the Buy Sell Trade forum here a try:

Buy, Sell, Trade, Free
That was my first option I looked into. However I have no knowledge on how to ship livestock, much less fish. Thanks tho!

midna said:
another option is facebook marketplace. there might be a fish-related forum or facebook group for your state/metroplex you can also try.
Looking into that now, thanks! I may have a bite on Craigslist locally.

OP
THRESHER

THRESHER

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well they're both off to a new home. Person that picked them has several Bettas each housed in their own 10 gallon tank. They have 2 empty 10 gallons that each will have. I gave them the link to this site in hopes they become a member in this section.

My good deed is done

New Threads