Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Just Getting Into Shrimp

Discussion in 'Cherry Shrimp' started by ASHLEY R COOK, Apr 21, 2019.

1. ASHLEY R COOKWell Known MemberMember

I've been deep diving into my normal species specific research but I still have some questions.
    1.) Is there really a difference between different color variations (blue, yellow, ect) in behavior or hardiness?
    2.) Do the shrimp look different right before a molt or act different?
    3.)Are there things I can feed or do to help have healthy molts?
    4.) Do I need shrimp specific foods or can i just use what i feed my main tank with fish? I know I've seen talk of power food (bact EA or something like that.)

Some background on my tank.
    It used to house mollies and a dwarf gourami and panda cories.
    I rehome the mollies about two weeks ago and I moved my dwarf gourami to the main tank right before adding the shrimp. The 6 pandas are still there. It's a 20 long with a double sponge filter and a aquaclear 20 with a sponge prefilter. Its kept at 65-66ish F.(usually 65.7)
    Parameters of course are 0,0 with nitrates right now at 20. But I'm doing small water changes to not shock the shrimp to keep it between 5-10ppm. Ph is 8.2.
    I have pretty hard water KH and GH I believe is 15. I haven't tested in a year and cant find where I wrote it down. I'll have to retest that.
    Anything important I need to know? I did do research but I'm scared of them dying bc most of my ghost shrimp from petsmart died but I chalk that up to bad care from petsmart and the supplier.
    I did only drip acclimate for an hr but I know that the shop has the same ph and hardness bc we've talked about it when I bought bolivians for him in December.

2. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

What species? I'm assuming neocaridina, but just want to confirm.
    Expect 2/3 of ghost shrimp to die when you buy them

3. QueenLittleLizardValued MemberMember

Sadly, I can only answer your third question. I’m a beginner myself. It depends on the type of shrimp your getting, but I don’t think you need anything special. Lots of places sell things advertised to help your shrimp molt, but their not nessicary. You can get some if you want, and they may help some, but you don’t need them.

4. FahnFishlore VIPMember

1) Yes. The more line breeding a specific color takes to keep the strain consistent, the less hardy. This is true with neocaridina (blue dream are more sensitive than cherries) and caridina (pure red lines will be very sensitive compared to regular crystal reds). This can be chalked up to repeated line breeding in ideal conditions that produces beautiful but fragile shrimp.

2) Generally, a shrimp ready to molt may have cloudy eyes. After molting they are reclusive, but the actual act of molting takes only seconds.

3) Water chemistry is the main thing that affects molts. With neocaridina such as cherries, orange sakuras, or blue dreams, having more alkaline water helps maintain their exoskeletons. Food with protein and calcium will also help, and good sources of calcium are zucchini, leafy greens, and green beans.

4) There are shrimp foods formulated for shrimps' dietary needs. I personally use Shrimp King Complete, Shrimp King Snow Pops, Shrimp King 5 Leaf Mix, and Ocean Nutrition Shrimp Wafers. Powdered foods such as Bacter AE are important for increasing the survival rate of babies, and protein such as frozen bloodworm will ensure females can produce eggs (protein should only be fed once per week). However, shrimp are omnivorous scavengers and will eat any fish food. The primary bulk of their diet should come from algae and biofilm, which is why they need stable, mature tanks with plenty of surface area and live plants.

BONUS: Keep driftwood/cholla and leaf litter in your shrimp tanks. They provide a near constant source of biofilm to eat and produce tannins as they break down, which are highly beneficial for your shrimp.

5. ASHLEY R COOKWell Known MemberMember

Yes neocaridina. And yeah, I read that they are kept in less then ideal conditions bc they are deemed a feeder shrimp.

6. fjhWell Known MemberMember

welcome to the fun of shrimp ;P

1) assuming you are talking about neocaridina, there isnt too much difference. They are all the same species (so dont get multiple colors in the same tank or you will end up with brownish offspring eventually). However since each color is line bred, the red/cherry color will probably be the hardiest since It is the oldest and most popular (there is a lot more variation than the newer blues or whites).

2) Sometimes they will develop a stripe/crack near their abdomen. This is the old exoskeleton starting to come off. Its hilarious watching them spaz out trying to (literally) jump out of their skin.

3) Feeding things with high calcium (like spinach) helps if you have a lot of failed molts. Ive found that shrimp die from poor water quality more often than molting problems though.

4) Nope they dont need anything specific. Mostly shrimp will eat the biofilm and dead plants in your tank - youll probably see them picking at your sponge filters a lot. They will also eat regular fish food, veggies, and (my shrimp's favorite) raw seafood if they dont scavenge enough. The powder youre talking about supposedly improves shell quality and color, but Ive never used it and my shrimp are great.

Some other stuff: Shrimp love dense live plants! Pack the tank with them if you can. Also, water quality is the biggest issue when it comes to these guys. Make sure you stay on top of your WCs.

7. ASHLEY R COOKWell Known MemberMember

I think all the colored shrimp except for the reds either are hiding all day or have died. I have seen one tiny baby blue multiple times yesterday. But I just keep counting 9ish red.
    I have one yellow and one black but they're gone too.
    Dang. The reds seem to be very happy though. Fingers crossed that maybe the others melted and are hiding? Idk

8. ASHLEY R COOKWell Known MemberMember

Jk! I just saw a full grown blue one! These are sneaky little buggers!