10 Gallon Tank Just geting set up

Nanci Pattenden

Hi:

Just got a 10 gal tank today. Don't have space for anything bigger. I've got the water in, gravel, conditioner, filter running (behind orange plant), heater on (behind purple plant), a little castle and three plants. Anything else? It's kinda barren without fish. Maybe some sea shells or something?

nanci.jpg

I'll look for fish later in the week. Haven't decided yet what fish, but NOT betta or goldfish. Suggestions?

Thanks
Nanci

sheilashoelady

A small schooling fish would look neat, such as galaxy rasboras.

Nanci Pattenden

They look pretty cool. Thanks

sheilashoelady

You're welcome. They are gorgeous little fish. Depending on your water parameters, you may have a lot of choices. Do you know the pH of your water and the hardness?

Nanci Pattenden

No, not yet. The store where I bought it will check the water though before I buy anything. Guess I'll have to get something to put the water sample in.

sheilashoelady

My local petco gave me an old test strip container to carry water samples in. Ask yours if they have any laying around!
Also, a lot of stores use the strips to test which are notoriously inaccurate, so if yours does this, I would recommend looking into purchasing a good liquid test kit. I recommend the API freshwater master kit.

Nanci Pattenden

Sounds good. Maybe the vet has little containers too. New owner though, so she may charge me. Will have to ask. Was thinking I would find something at the dollar store.

Will check Petsmart and Big Al's for the test kits.

Nikita

Welcome to Fishlore! Your tank looks great! Do you know about the Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle? If not, I would recommend reading up on it as it is essential to keeping an aquarium. If you do know about the aquarium nitrogen cycle, how do you plan on cycling your tank? Just curious

Ivoryangel

A small schooling fish would look neat, such as galaxy rasboras.
I agree with sheilashoelady , galaxy rasboras are so beautiful. I'd definitely add them to your tank.

Btw, your tank looks so glamorous and vibrant. Fantastic job!

Nanci Pattenden

Hi: Other than water changes, I will be getting a testing kit, and plan on getting a live plant tomorrow. Other than that . . . ?

Thanks

Will check out the rasboras when I go in for a plant tomorrow. Was actually thinking about fancy guppies, but they seem to be rather prolific and don't know what to do with the babies, so they may be off the table Would also like one or two RSCs later on.

Only two places around here to buy fish that I'm aware of - PetSmart and Big Al's. Big Al's is an aquarium store so they have a much much larger selection.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
blushrimp1
Replies
Views
Cody
Replies
Views
Redfishbluefish13
Replies
Views