Just from SW keepers and UV's Question

Discussion in 'Saltwater Tank Equipment' started by Reefdweller, Dec 25, 2012.

?

I use a UV - yes or no

Poll closed Jan 24, 2013.
  1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

100.0%
  1. Reefdweller

ReefdwellerValued MemberMember

How many of you guys use a UV in your saltwater tanks? I am curious of how beneficial these are in keeping unwanted algae in your water. Also, making sure that they do not harm the water chemistry in any way.

2. JessiNoel21Well Known MemberMember

I do not use one due to breeding plankton,Coepods, and brine shrimp in my sump and tank.

3. ryanr

ryanrModeratorModerator Member

I do not run one. Regular water changes and good equipment negate the need to 'artificially' kill bacteria.

If I start to see algae growing, I know something isn't right in the balance of my system. It's nature's litmus test, IMO, UV could possibly hide a small problem the could develop into a large problem ;)

4. OP
    OP
    Reefdweller

ReefdwellerValued MemberMember

I ordered one with my skimmer order and I was just wondering how popular they really were. I have never had a UV or used one in the past. I will have it on hand but I am just undecided if I should use it or not...

5. JessiNoel21Well Known MemberMember

If plan on ever get corals I would not use it seeing it kills some the micro organisms that they filter feed on.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice