Just found this

Discussion in 'Snails' started by Joel2036, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Joel2036

Joel2036 Valued Member Member

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354752577.823852.jpg

Just found this tiny snail in my tank I don't know how he got there I don't have any snails, is he bad for my tank ?

2. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Looks like it's a pond snail. Pull it out unless you want a million of them.

3. nippybetta

nippybetta Well Known Member Member

If you start finding a bunch, and you don't want any, you could get a few assassin snails. I have one in my 10g and there are lots of empty snail shells :)

4. C

They have weak shells. I usually smash them against the glass.

5. lucky strike 21

lucky strike 21 Well Known Member Member

personally i like pond snails i have had around 5 pond snails and they have never reproduced in my tank maybe the fish are eating the babys

6. OP
    OP
    Joel2036

Thanks for your replies ! So the snail isn't necessarily bad for the tank at all ? Do they get big ? I was planning on getting snails this weekend but now I have found 1 of them in each of my tanks, I wonder how they got there

7. lucky strike 21

they can come on plants i think thats about it some people dont like them some people do it all depends on your taste they stay pretty small i think

8. C

If you over feed your tank, they can reproduce in to literally thousands.

9. guppygrl

guppygrl Valued Member Member

I bought a plant and noticed there were 2 pond snails but it was too late as the plant was already in my tank. I bought a few assassin snails and there aren't that many pond snails. I think there is a trick using lettuce to get rid of them. Some others may have hints about that.

I get the ones I can get off the wall of the tank but I think the assassin snails help.

I agree that over feeding will make them reproduce like crazy. They seem to grow really fast if they have a good food supply.

10. pirahnah3

pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

pond snails are not "bad" they can indicate over feeding if you see too many of them. personally I dont mind a few as they do clean up the mess the fish leave from uneaten food. the small ones I just kinda splat in the tank and the fish eat the nice treat.

11. OP
    OP
    Joel2036

Yeah I don't mind them there kind of cute :) they must have came on the plants a bought 2 weeks ago I just wonder where they have been hiding !!

12. C

I say smash them! Smash them all! ;D

13. lucky strike 21

they were playing hide and seek lol

14. lucky strike 21

dont smash them i want them lol one of the snails is gonna be saying you shall not smash!!! when your trying to smash them:;banaman

15. OP
    OP
    Joel2036

There pretty good at it !! There both around the size of a pea ! So many hiding spots for them haha my guppy fry are swimming next to them haha will they multiply if it is just one in each tank ?

16. C

They are Asexual. It just takes one.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice