just found my snail in the filter media!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
i have a 2.5g minibow tank i'm using as a qtank....there are a few rasboras and the nerite snail. that crazy snail.....i was watching him on and off this morning, he was climbing all over. up the airline tubing, then to the filter intake, then back up. that snail is very active.

i just went to turn the tank lights on and didn't see him, but i didn't look very hard. so i decided to feed my rasboras. i usually don't use the "fedding hole", i lift the entire lid up a bit....and good thing! there he is sitting in the middle of the filter media, just chillin'! i'm like, what are you doing in there?! and how were you planning on getting out!? he had no idea. haha. luckily i found him. but i usally do a water change every other day, but still. guess i'm going to need to keep an on him!

but that makes me nervous, cos i've seen my other nerites in the 20g go up the tubing and go out of the water to hang out. but what if one climbed all the way up the tubing and got out of the tank and was strolling around on the hood? or worse, in the aqualclear filter, or the floor!

Last edited:
OP
jerilovesfrogs

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
oh that's funny tanman lol. i have found mine several more times up there....but my filter is such that he can get down. i actually saw him get down today, it was pretty funny. he was sliding down where the water pours out lol. i think he was up there because there is algae growing on the filter media. luckily yours was still alive. was it a hitch-hiker? or one that you bought.

i did read that they were tidal snails elodea......which makes me feel better in case they ever escaped and i didn't catch them right away. i am paranoid they are going to escape through the cutout in the back. lol. i always make sure i count them everyday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 23.8%
  • No

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 68 67.3%

Top Bottom