Just finished cycling, now for a water change question.

TheSwampFox

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I want to do a water change in my tank because I didn't do one throughout the process and now the sand definitely to be cleaned up on the bottom. What % of water is good to be changed for the first time? And also how can I get the suction going on the vacuum, I would rather not use my mouth

My readings are still holding steady at 7.4 ph, 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, and 5 Nitrate!

Thanks for any answers!

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
congrats on the cycle!!!!
if it were me, id still leave it alone and deal with the dirty sand for a few more weeks..its too soon of a cycle completed and your nitrates are still very low....but that's me!~

RayRay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
For the suction, take your siphon and put both ends in the water, filling the hose. Plug one end with your thumb and, keeping the open end under water, bring the closed end out and over to your bucket. As long as the bucket end is lower than the tank end gravity will do all the work for you.

TheSwampFox

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Shawnie said:
congrats on the cycle!!!!
if it were me, id still leave it alone and deal with the dirty sand for a few more weeks..its too soon of a cycle completed and your nitrates are still very low....but that's me!~
I at least need to top the water off, is this ok?

Maybe use a fish net to clean up the waste?

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
topping off is fine treat the tap water of course..and yes nets will do wonders....

TheSwampFox

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Used R/O water and did a 30% water change. Sorry, had to do it, fiancee's orders

chughes737

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I agree with Shawnie...I did a large change after my cycle was complete and started a minI cycle all over again...just monitor your levels the next couple days to make sure you don't get a large Nitrite spike..before you add fish

TheSwampFox

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
aight I'll check it.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads