Just double checking

Paigee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I've now got my 29 gallon cycling with some shrimp dangling in a nylon. I know I just need to leave it in there and let it do its thing, but how often should I test the water? Daily? At what point should I take it out? When the cycle is complete with no ammonia, nitrites and 5-20ish nitrates?

Just a note, I also have some previously cycled filter media in as well, in case anyone needed to know. I am also going to turn the thermometer up to about 86* when I muster the energy to get off the couch

Any input on how long to leave the shrimp in for would be appreciated!

angelfish220

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
When your cycle is complete, you can take the shrimp out, do a waterchange to get the shrimp nasties out, then go buy fish

You can test daily, most people do to watch the cycle take place, but really you don't need to test for the first week or so because you know it won't be ready by then.

Paigee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ok, thanks a bunch!

ayelie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Paigee
How long did it take your tank to cycle? I am thinking that is the way I will do my 29 gallon when I finally get it set up.

Paigee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'm still waiting on the cycle!! As of last night, the ammonia was at .25ppm I think, but the shrimp hadn't even been in the tank for 24 hours. I will check again tonight and update on what the readings are! I'm hoping it goes fairly quickly, I'm really impatient

ayelie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Oh ok they say to check after it's been in there a week. I was just hoping it was really fast. You know how it is.

Paigee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Has anyone experienced white fuzzy looking stuff growing on the nylon that houses the shrimp?? I'm figuring that this is just some kind of bacteria that is a part of the cycling, but just wanted to see if anyone else has had the same experience

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
sounds like fungus, that junk grows on food and other stuff that breaks down in the tank.

Paigee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So it's a good thing...?

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads