Just decided to buy some Platy fish :)

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Tank Photos' started by Goldie Fish, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Goldie Fish

Goldie Fish New Member Member

I went and bought 6 Platy fish several days ago. :D They were on sale for .88 cents each at PetSmart. :;hf Except for the white Mickey Mouse Platy, she was $1.99 at Petco. :;f:;fg:;fb:;fr:;f:;fg

102_5175 (2).JPG

2. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Wow, so pretty!!! :D

3. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

Beautiful, I love platies! :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

4. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

I love platies too. What was the name of the white one with the black streaks on his tail? Someone just gave me one of those and I hadn't seen one before.

5. kidster9700

kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

Gold twin bar platy.

Left to right looks like panda, red, gold dusted (or variatus), Mickey Mouse, neon [blue], and a gold twin bar.
    Edit: the neon might be a neon rainbow, or a variatus, sometimes stores sell them with weird names.
    edit 2: remembered gold dusted is a molly term, for platies its called painted
    Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2015
  6. Lisa Schuster Altmiller

Lisa Schuster Altmiller Valued Member Member

They're cute! I love platys. You know you may end up with hundreds of fry right?

7. CindiL

The gold twin bar, the blue, the red or orange look like females to me. The gold mickey mouse maybe and I can't see well enough on the panda and gold dust.
    Can you take more photos of those last three? You may want to just have an all female tank since you for sure seem to have at least three females if not more.

8. OP
    OP
    Goldie Fish

According to the store's labels on the tanks, I do believe that you got them all correct. Except the one you said is a Panda, is labeled a Mickey Mouse Platy. It looks just like the other MM Platy, except body color, so I guess it is?

9. Kasye

Kasye Valued Member Member

Beautiful! Platies are one of my favorite fish to keep. There's so much variation out there!

10. OP
    OP
    Goldie Fish

I think they are all Females, but I may be wrong who knows :confused: Plus I think maybe the painted one looks pregnant, I can't tell. :eek: Here are a couple more pictures of the Platies. I'm sorry the photos are not too clear, I took them through the plastic tote box I use for a QT tank. :rolleyes:

102_5177 (2).JPG 102_5178 (2).JPG

11. Lisa Schuster Altmiller

Both Mickey Mouse platys are female. Still can't tell on the painted.

12. Kasye

Kasye Valued Member Member

From what I can see in the pictures, they all look female to me.

13. kidster9700

kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

If it has the Mickey Mouse face on its tail it's a Mickey Mouse. I just saw that the front was white and tail was black, so I went with panda.

14. CindiL

I think they are all females also. Just fyi if you didn't know...livebearers can carry sperm up to a year!

15. OP
    OP
    Goldie Fish

Here is a video of the Platies, but not too much better than the pictures LOL! :;laughing

16. OP
    OP
    Goldie Fish

Um....no I didn't know that. :eek: Hee Hee Oh boy! :no2:

17. Lisa Schuster Altmiller

The twin bar is pregnant you can see the gravid spot in the video.

18. OP
    OP
    Goldie Fish

Oh my! The fun never ends with these gals does it? Baby Mania!! :;bananababy I'll have to take a look at my video again :;eye:;eye

Oh Snickers, I do see it now! :shock: :;laughing

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  19. CindiL

I thought I had all females (well now I really do as I gave away the boys this week) and now have a 10g with about 30 fry, a combination of mollies, guppies, platies! Luckily a privately owned fish store said they would take them off my hands when they're a couple months old. And then just now I was wiping down the glass of my main tank and saw yet another fry, ugh. More to catch in the next few weeks!

20. OP
    OP
    Goldie Fish

What did we get ourselves into? :;dk LOL! :no2:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice