Just curious

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Would a 10 gallon be big enough for one common clown fish and maybe a cleaner shrimp?
Tom

altitude

Reaction score
i would think you will be ok with that but it is usually harder to keep the water quality correct in the small tank
are you thinking a nano tank?

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
altitude said:
i would think you will be ok with that but it is usually harder to keep the water quality correct in the small tank
are you thinking a nano tank?
No, just a regular 10 gallon, why? I would most likely do that in the future when all the fish are out of my curretn one.
Tom

The reason I am asking is because a pet store is having a deal on for their saltwater fish, one fish equal to or more than $19.99CDN get one invert free. So I figured it might be a worthy deal and I should ask the 'experts' first.
Tom

altitude

Reaction score
gottcha... im no expert but i asked around... and it should be ok

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It would be fine, but you won't be able to get the clown for a bit obviously. Depending on the invert, they usually aren't that expensive so it's not an amazing deal unless there super expensive in Canada. Go for it if you can, you'l never regret it. Don't worry about the tank levels, it's not hard.

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
atmmachine said:
It would be fine, but you won't be able to get the clown for a bit obviously. Depending on the invert, they usually aren't that expensive so it's not an amazing deal unless there super expensive in Canada. Go for it if you can, you'l never regret it. Don't worry about the tank levels, it's not hard.
Thanks, I will just have to wait until all the fish leave the tank(due to death or transfer to another tank). As well as some more money would help a lot.
Tom

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I am starting to have second thoughts on converting it into a saltwater tank because I have been reading up on how to take care of the tank/fish/invert and it seems like it is really a ton of work just to keep it maintained. Would I need to buy a new light and filter? Is it manditory to have a protein skimmer? Would I need to put live rock in the tank so the fish would have someplace to hide? Would I need to plan on getting another clown fish? I have so many questions and my brain is starting to hurt because of them. I have gone to the library and checked out 2 books on the topic and they seem to be out of date on some of the info. Please help, it hurts.
Tom

Miss Mouse

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey Tom! Dont let it hurt - that's what we're here for! There is a lot more to think about when it comes to saltwater but once you get the hang of it, it's definitely worth while! ;D
You don't have to have a protein skimmer, they're just added help. With a marine tank you get a few options - you can go "fish only", "fish only with live rock" or you can go the whole hog and get the protein skimmer, lighting, corals etc

With such a small tank the water parameters fluctuate quite a lot more than in a bigger tank which offers a more stable environment. As long as your lights in your small tank dont affect the temperature too much and as long as you are able to maintain your regular water changes you should be fine with the clown and invert. You could get some small live rock as well - that helps with filtration and adds some colour when it grows the coraline algae.

You will need to invest in a very good test kit, some marine salt, a good little hang on filter, some basic lights (unless you want to get retro-fit lighting for corals), substrate and live rock.

What sort of substrate are you planning to use? There is a debate that with such a small tank you dont need to use a substrate because it can affect the ph buffering etc. It can also look very good without substrate, all minimalist and clean but I dont know the in's and outs of all that - Mike- help?!
Have a look at this pic -
It's a 10 gallon tank with a clown and muchrooms. Very pretty!

best of luck!
Ursula

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I agree wtih MIss Mouse. Once you get it going it won't be that hard. Like Miss Mouse said everybody says it's hard to keep the levels stable in a small tank, so far I've had no problem watsoever and never had any when it was Freshwater, as long as you do some basic maintence you'll be fine. You would be fine with just a strip light too, or you could get two and put two different types of bulbs in them. On the substrate issue I talked to Mike about that when I was setting up my tank and either way is fine really. Barebottom might be a bit easier but I wanted aragonite and I have a very thin layer, just enough to cover the bottom and it's ok so far.
Here's a rundown of costs I can think of, if I miss anything add it MIss Mouse.
tank-free
hood-free (or you can but a glass versa-top, and another strip light if you want corals but you can do that later)
new bulb-Need a new one with different kelvin and type
HOB filter-free?
hydrometer- not too expensive (if you have the money you can get a refractometer)
two powerheads- Maxi-jets are good will want 20-40x so 200-400gph
heater-free?
Live Rock-10-20lbs. (depends how porous and how much room it takes up, does most filtration)
test kit-like MIss Mouse said good one, aquarium pharameuticals will be sufficent
substrate-your choice
salt mix-

extra-5 gallon bucket, small heater, small powerhead. Need this to prepare your saltwater before a water change

My maintence scedule
Sunday night-1 gallon water change, algae scrape, check filter-20-30 min.
every day-check on livestock
Wednsday-top off with a little distilled water-5minutes
Rest is normal with Freshwater, monthly cleaning of some equipment and longer for others.

btw: Miss Mouse, there are clams and other corals in that tank, zoos, plants?

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Okay, thanks. I was worried that I would have to spend hundreeds of dollars just to set it up. As for the parameters, they are perfectly fine(just read it in my sig).
Tom

lolagurl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Tom said:
Okay, thanks. I was worried that I would have to spend hundreeds of dollars just to set it up. As for the parameters, they are perfectly fine(just read it in my sig).
Tom
what are you going to do with the fish in the 10 g tank now..i thought werent allowed any more tanks?

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Tom said:
Tom
Nope especially if you keep it simple, not a whole lot more than a Freshwater tank if not many corals really than mushrooms.

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
lolagurl said:
Tom said:
Tom
what are you going to do with the fish in the 10 g tank now..i thought werent allowed any more tanks?
I already have the tank, I was just wondering if I was able to put one or two common clown fish and an invert. right now there are a total of about 4-5 left in the tank and I don't want to get any more for it until I do all my research on saltwater to make sure I want to go that route.
Tom

JGoldinger

Reaction score
I was happy to read the last thing you said "do your research"

You can do saltwater on a budget where it gets expensive is corals, you need lighting for them as well as anemones....

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
JGoldinger said:
I was happy to read the last thing you said "do your research"

You can do saltwater on a budget where it gets expensive is corals, you need lighting for them as well as anemones....
Thanks. I need to always start to do my research, and stop the impulse buying.
Tom

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom