Just Coincidence Or Not?

CaptainAquatics

Hi! A few months ago I fused my 2 community tanks (36 gallon and 10 gallon) into one large 55 gallon. Anyway all has been going well for the past few months but about a month ago I introduced some new fish after about a 2 1/2 week of QT. One of the new fish died fairly quickly with no explanation then other fish started acting weird so I moved them into QT for about a month and monitored the other fish. The fish in QT seemed to get better and no other fish in the main tank acted weird so I put them back in, that was all about a month or two ago and since then things have been running smoothly. Now I would like to quickly mention that 99% of the fish in this that I have had for 2 years+ so they are all fairly old. Anyway (I don't think this is to important but I will mention it) about a week ago I found a baby molly at my LFS so I got him but didn't have QT so he went into a breeder net in the 55 without QT. Anyway a few days ago my pineapple swordtail passed away, I didn't get to worried as this fish was with me for three years (He was actually one of the original four fish I ever got, when I first started I got a molly, two goramies and him for my 36 gallon so he was very old) and I know sword tails don't live that long so I accounted it to old age. Thing is today I came down and noticed one of my silver dollars had passed away and I saw him doing fine yesterday, no signs of illness or anything. I have also had these silver dollars for about 2 years but I thought they lived longer than that. I only had two but they seemed perfectly fine together, they didn't hide or show signs of stress but this just happened. Could it have just been a freak accident that just happened to be back to back with the swordtail, or do you think something else is going on? I have a injured tendon in my arm so for the past like week and a half I haven't been able to do water changes, could that be the problem? I am trying to get back into it but I have to go slowly so I don't hurt my arm any more. I will get exact water parameters later today, thanks

EDIT: Again there are no visible signs of illness

86 ssinit

Hey it happens. Fish do die unexpectedly. Guess you would have to check your water to see if something is going wrong there. But a week over due shouldn’t be a problem.
I’ve allway thought our tanks could get some sort of mystery parasite. Have had unexpected deaths one after the other. So I’ve installed a uv steralizer. The green ... one (names escapes me maybe green killing machine?) but since I’ve added it no mysterious deaths. It also does a real nice job on algae so it’s a win win.

CaptainAquatics

Thanks

BTW I have noticed they also have some torn fins. Thanks

86 ssinit

Are they torn or could it be fin rot. Torn would be by another fish or something in the tank. Rot could be a problem that would kill a fish. But huge fin loss first before they die.

CaptainAquatics

Some looks like fin rot some doesn't, what would cause that? Also one of my cory cat's is acting strange, he is swimming in the middle of the water column and is swimming slowly. I also haven't been able to find that other cory catfish today, he could be hiding but I think I would see him at least once.

Should I put in some preventative med's to see if it will help?

86 ssinit

Sorry I just don’t use meds. Hopefully someone else can give you an idea for meds. Have you checked your water? Are the reading normal? I have used salt to cure fin rot. I remove the sick fish to a qt tank and dose 1 teaspoon of salt a gal and raise the temp to 80. It’s worked for me.

Tigursevin79

Wouldnt it be pointless once fish come in water contact if they are sick its in the water though healthy fish could fight it off pld sick slow stressed or otherwise shouldnt the whole tank be qt'd ? Just curious. Cause ik when ive had sick fish moving it by time you notice its sick the others already have it or could catch it.

CaptainAquatics

86 ssinit all my QT tanks are in use right now otherwise I would move them. I tested water and everything was right other than nitrate which was fairly high.

86 ssinit

Wouldnt it be pointless once fish come in water contact if they are sick its in the water though healthy fish could fight it off pld sick slow stressed or otherwise shouldnt the whole tank be qt'd ? Just curious. Cause ik when ive had sick fish moving it by time you notice its sick the others already have it or could catch it.
Yes if you’ve got sick fish as in the lots of sick fish. Than yes you might as well med the whole tank (like ick). But when your not sure and have no idea what the fish has what do you medicate with. Read some of the threads here. Everybody has a different med they use. Before you know it the person with sick fish has been recomended 6 different meds and when the first doesn’t work they go to the second.... That's why I recommend using a uv steralizer. It will kill most things in the water.
Captain how high are your nitrates? Are the qt tanks with new fish or sick fish?

CaptainAquatics

QT has new fish and nitrates are at 40 I think

86 ssinit

In today’s new standards 40 ppm is high. To me not that bad, unless your tank has been there at 40 for months now I don’t think that’s the problem.
For qt you could use a Tupperware. Can you put up some pictures? Hope it’s not that Oscar.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Megaanemp
Replies
Views
SecondTime
Replies
Views
SarahPar
Replies
Views