just bought new brislenose pleco

steve(redlakefalls,mn)

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
wow what a great fish,i just picked it up yesterday and now have it in my 45 gallon.i also bought three new albino korys,but am sad to say i lost two of them this afternoon on my luch break,seems they are to small to swim away from the intake tube on my filter,both caught up in it,any suggestions on what i can do to prevent this in the future?any help will be great,thanks.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Sorry about your cories, Steve. You should put pantyhose (never seen soap, new) over the filter intake, secured with a rubberband. Otherwise, you can put a piece of sponge into it.

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You could get an aquarium safe sponge and cover the intake tube with it. That would also be a good area for beneficial bacteria to build a new home.

I really like my Bristlenose Pleco too. Mine's only about 3 inches long right now, but it's bristle's are huge coming off its nose.

Edit: again

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You started it, jrobber.

Steve, I'd never given any thought to the fact that it'll be another place for the BB to grow... but I don't know, I might still be inclined to go with a black rubberband and black hose... I'd want it to not be obvious. And it's not like it's a huge piece of sponge. Your thoughts on this, jrobber?

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Depending on the color of panty hose, if the filter intake in black and you had black panty hose, it wouldn't show up too bad. Depending on what else is in the tank he houses the Pleco in, it might have enough BB for the fish.

But I also added my Bristlenose before I found this site and my tank was only up and running for two months at that time. So, chances are it will be fine. Mine seems pretty hardy.

steve(redlakefalls,mn)

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
my brisle is just a tike hes only about 1/34.to 2 inchs long and my kory is just 3/4 inch long cute little buggers.i do have a piece of mesh on the intake,seems to do o.k.,but they still get sucked into it,not all the way in, but just at the edge,wonder if some kind of big cone would be better?

flyin-lowe

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Its been my experience (limited) that if your fish were stuck to the filter they might have had some health issues of been dead and then sucked up. Most healthy fish are able to stay free of the filter and swim by without getting stuck.

steve(redlakefalls,mn)

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
no health issues here,the are very healthy,but they are very small fish and my filter is going at about 250gph,it sucked up my betta at one point in time also,found him in the filter,and is doing just great,he seems to stay away from it know,seems a lesson was learned from that ordeal.ha ha

flyin-lowe

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have a 120 gallon tank with two filters rated at close to 500 gph each and my small fish don't get stuck to the filters so who knows.

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I lost a cory in a filter too. The intake tube fell off my AC 30 and the cory got stuck in the impellor. Amazing thing was that before he was sucked in 4 harlequins were too and made it through the impellor into the space under the basket. They must have been there overnight and only one of them died! The other three recovered completely! They looked a bit the worse for wear with damaged fins and a spot of ich for a week or so but now I can't tell which ones in the school they were.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads