Just Bought Haworthia Savanna, Any Tips?

iman350

Hey all! I just got into houseplants this year and I currently have three succulents.I bought a haworthia savanna from my local Dobbies garden centre today and was wondering if anyone had any care tips etc? Or just for succulents in general? My other two succulents are jade plant and Echeveria!

Salem

Be careful not to over-water. Make sure you keep them in a sunny window or even put them outside during summer.

stella1979

I'm no succulent pro but in my experience (and I do have about a dozen succulents doing pretty good), Haworthia prefers a bit less light than most. My Echeverias can take pretty harsh sun for more than half the day while the Haworthias do very well in a dimmer spot on the porch... lol, it's just to do with how far they sit from the screen. Sadly, none of my succulents came with tags, but happily, this is because I am lucky in location here in South Florida where there are several succulent nurseries just pumping these babies out cheap. (Isaac's Farms is something to see if you're ever in the area.) Anyway, just wanted to say that my two Haworthia plants couldn't look less alike, but they are treated the same and both do well. One looks like a Haworthia cooperI (fat little see-through 'leaves') and the other looks like an H. fasciata (aka, the zebra plant.) These plants never have full sun but do get fairly bright light... they sit with happy Phalaenopsis orchids if that's any help in the lighting department.

Because they live outdoors in a very warm and humid environment they are watered once a week, (meaning... if conditions are cooler, less or more bright and or less or more humidity... and or the potting method were different, then their water usage would be different and my schedule would change). Also, 3 out of 4 times, this watering includes low dose fertilizer. The fourth watering is plain water and while all waterings are thorough (more on that in a minute), the plain watering is very thorough... this basically achieves a flushing of the pot and thus, of fertilizers (salts) that may otherwise start to accumulate in the medium to the point of burning sensitive roots.

Okay, so, here's my other thing that I like to share with plant 'newbs'. Just because a plant (say a succulent or an orchid) prefers NOT to be overwatered or even requires a drying out period between waterings, (like is important for many orchids in common cultivation and most succulents)... well, this absolutely DOES NOT mean that we only give a little bit of water. It means that we don't water more frequently than necessary but when we do water, we do so thoroughly enough that water drains out of the holes at the bottom of the pot. Sounds like a lot of water for a desert plant, yeah? Well, this is why the potting method is important. I prefer to keep my plants in unglazed terra cotta because it breathes. Also, the potting medium is often the very key to success. Hrmph... I mix my own regular potting soil and, of course, each of my babies (orchids) gets what I think they'll like best in a pot and... that's quite enough DIY potting medium for me. I wanted the succulents to be easy, and they are. I took the easy if expensive way out and bought the Succulent Potting Mix from RePotMe. It's very, very well-draining. I don't love potting shallow roots in this pebble-ey mix because it's just kind of a pain to get plants well seated in it... but they do soon root in.

Now, I'm not saying that my way is the way, only that for the best chances of success, we should evaluate the conditions/climate we keep plants in. When indoors, this often means very low humidity and mild temps... and this means that your plants (if potted in a breathable pot with a well-draining 'soil') will use less water than mine because even though humidity is higher for me, temps indoors are much, much different than the 90°F plus that plants often withstand on my porch. So, what I'm really saying is, research is great and I love good advice too, but we all have to find out what works for us and that means that some experimentation is needed with new plants. Succulents are FUN! And, hurray, super easy! I have put mine through some bad times but they all came back and you too will find your keys to success. I'll share pics if you will.

Welcome to Fishlore!!!

iman350

Thank you all for your help/advice!!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
FishDin
Replies
Views
Dimmy
  • Question
Replies