Just Bought A Brackish Fish From Lfs. Need To Know How Fast To Convert It To Fw.

MossBall

Hello all.
I hope I can get some responses ASAP because I can't find this info online.

I bought a freshwater goby today and it was housed in a tank at the LFS in 1.008sg. Now it's a freshwater goby that can tolerate brackish. So the fact that it's in brackish right now is not the problem.
My question is how long in hours or days should I acclimate it back to freshwater?
The only info I am reading is .002 every week. Well at that rate it would be a month. I have a 1 gallon bucket I can keep it in for a few days but I am worried the ammonia will spike pretty quickly.

Thoughts? Ideas?

I bought a fish that is supposed to be freshwater that was housed in brackish at my LFS in 1.008 SG. How quickly and at what ratio can I convert the fish to freshwater from this SG. I honestly don't know how quickly the fish was acclimated to brackish. It could have been over the course of a day and thus has been 5 days in the brackish tank(based on when they get their shipments). It could have been shipped in brackish water. I asked but no one knew.

I was given exactly .3 of a gallon with the fish. My plan is to add 2 ounces of fresh water ever 12 hours. Will the fish survive in a 1 gallon bucket for that long? Is this too fast or too slow?

Claire Bear

A month sounds good to me. However, you could try a tad faster but not too much, imo. I would also make up water as you are going to need daily water changes. Good luck

MossBall

A month sounds good to me. However, you could try a tad faster but not too much, imo. I would also make up water as you are going to need daily water changes. Good luck
The only reason I said a month and the reason that is the answer I am finding is because of the bacteria. The info I found is if you are trying to acclimate a whole tank from brackish to fresh. But I am just trying to do 1 fish. The .002sg per week is for the bacteria not the fish.

Caleb Smith

What kind of fish is this? And what tank is it going in? You really don't have a choice to do this slow, that fish can't survive in 0.3 gallons of water for long.

MossBall

It's a knight goby. I know some people seem to think it's a low salinity backish fish but more of the reliable/well-known sites in addition to more than not user feedback says they prefer hard water with a high PH like most cichlids. Now maybe I will end up getting a Brackish 1.005 tank and transfer it but until then. It will be going in a 33g freshwater heavily planted with 8.2PH and hard water off the charts.

Caleb Smith

Ok. You have two options because you only have 0.3 gallons for him.
1: you could drip acclimate him overnight and drop him in your tank tomorrow or
2: Go back to the pet store tomorrow and get more water at that same salinity and slowly acclimate him over the next few days.

MossBall

Ok. You have two options because you only have 0.3 gallons for him.
1: you could drip acclimate him overnight and drop him in your tank tomorrow or
2: Go back to the pet store tomorrow and get more water at that same salinity and slowly acclimate him over the next few days.

I can do both. My plan right now was to do this math:
--SG--
1.008 - start
1.0077 -now(2.5 hours later)
1.0075 - 1 hour from now.
1.0073 - 90 mins from now(when I go to bed)
wake up 8 hours hater.
1.0072 - wake up
Decrease by .0002 every hour all day tomorrow.
Figure out the math to keep salinity at 1.0040 over night using the "fresh" water from the store.
Decrease by .0004 every 90 mins the next day until 1.000 salinity

Does this sound too quick?
He/she will be in the bucket for a total of 52 hours with one full water change with salinity decreasing on average .00015 every hour over 52 hours.

MossBall

I figured it out. The Mods can delete this if they want. He/she is loving it's new freshwater tank. No issues. Thank you all.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
AngryRainbow
Replies
Views
Sarcasm Included
Replies
Views
Sarcasm Included
Replies
Views